splitting up the sites to different target users

Feedback to the Blender Foundation and the moderators of this website

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

splitting up the sites to different target users

Postby Cyberdigitus » Wed Oct 30, 2002 10:19 pm

while it is a good idea to split up the blendercommunity sites in a development an an enduser one ( see news ) i was wondering why the userforum at elysiun won't be integrated in blender3d.com once that becomes the enduser site? I think we need such forum on the main blender site as well.

i mean two sites, a user and a development one is more than enough.
Give them both a similar look, maybe the enduserone with an other coloursheme, and give them both a proper homepage, with two way links.

of course there can be some independent fansites, what elysiun would be then. There could be a section on one of the sites then that keeps track of those.

greetz, cyberdigitus

Postby dittohead » Thu Oct 31, 2002 12:34 am

you should try looking at the other official blender sites.

Postby Cyberdigitus » Thu Oct 31, 2002 1:57 am

hmm that put's a nice perspective on things to come.

however Ton mentioned that blender3d.com would become the enduser site, while this text says it would be the blender.nl site. I didn't realise the .nl site would be continued, i don't think that's nessesairy
Hmm org/com/nl it get's confusing.
a pitty Blender.com is already taken. maybe blender3d also .org, being the central usercommunity site. I do'nt know it anymore. But we need to think this through.

Postby Timothy » Thu Oct 31, 2002 8:58 am

ah just to make things a bit more clear there will be 2 foundation websites:

which will provide services to developpers of blender.

which will provide general information about blender, user documentation, information about the foundation, etc.

Then elYsiun will continue to provide it's community services (forums, tutorials etc) as a independant website.

Postby matt_e » Sat Nov 02, 2002 9:06 am

It's pretty confusing for people who are visitng the sites for the first time, since the URL names are pretty ambiguous and don't really describe the sites (and their differentiation) very well. I mean if Kib has to describe why there's a distinction between the sites and what that distinction means to people who are supposedly already part of the 'Blender Community', it's going to be pretty darn hard for outsiders to understand which is which.

If I'm a potential user trying to find out more about some CG software named 'FooBar' that I may have heard of I wouldn't understand why there is a distinction between www.foobar3d.com and www.foobar.com, and I wouldn't understand why the absence of '3D' in the URL would mean that it's a development site..

I know it's a bit late in the game to be suggesting this, but maybe using subdomains or something like

or just something a bit more descriptive would be better.

Postby H@dj » Sat Nov 02, 2002 9:30 am

Hi Kib,

I can see where we would want to keep the sites
seperate ( there own needs ).

but, at least add a link from one site to the other
and maybe just mark the links:

elysiun.com (tutorials& forums)

blender3d.org (user docs and about)

it kinda feels like were all being kept apart.

Postby Cyberdigitus » Sat Nov 02, 2002 6:57 pm

H@dj wrote:
it kinda feels like were all being kept apart.

Indeed. That can't be a good thing. How can Blender be developed further if we're 'disconnected' from the enduser group? there must be twoway communication between the different 'target groups'

Return to “Foundation and Websites”