default biped rigs

Animation tools, character animation, non linear animation

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

mcbeth

default biped rigs

Postby mcbeth » Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:48 pm

I have using blender for a while now for modelling and would pretty much like to move all my 3d work to it, I'm designing a little game ......thing. my question is will there be a default rig for blender in the next release I'm a character studio addict and am no good at bones.

I like harkyman's proposal especially the onion skinner " pretty damn handy in flash", but would settle for a basic biped maybe with parametric editing

I'm really trying to shed my dependence on my.........um.... "evaluation copy" of max7 8)

levon

Postby levon » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:39 am

no there will not be a 'default' bi ped rig. though im preaty sure i have seen one on eylisiun for download.

mcbeth

Postby mcbeth » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:26 pm

ah unfortunate, but will there ever be one in the future

well as a work arround I'll use my dummy model to get rigs via md5 exports from max

joeri

Postby joeri » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:20 pm

Orange will create open armatures.
These will be easy to import into your own scenes.

harkyman

Postby harkyman » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:23 pm

A couple of default rigs was one of the suggestions I put into my original character animation proposal. I still think it would be a good idea.

While it is true that Orange will produce some nice rigs (and I'm working on one, too), one of the strengths and conveniences of the currently available crop of CA systems is their finely tuned default biped and quadruped rigs. With all of the new tools available, some of us are going to be able to come up with some excellent rigs, but it will take time. Getting the DoF just right on the joints, making the rig reactive, and finally, coming up with one that allows you to animate naturally with a minimum of time input... these are not easy tasks. And what would this account for? 1-2K in a final compiled binary? I'd call that worth it.

mcbeth

Postby mcbeth » Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:24 pm

harkyman wrote:A couple of default rigs was one of the suggestions I put into my original character animation proposal. I still think it would be a good idea.

While it is true that Orange will produce some nice rigs (and I'm working on one, too), one of the strengths and conveniences of the currently available crop of CA systems is their finely tuned default biped and quadruped rigs. With all of the new tools available, some of us are going to be able to come up with some excellent rigs, but it will take time. Getting the DoF just right on the joints, making the rig reactive, and finally, coming up with one that allows you to animate naturally with a minimum of time input... these are not easy tasks. And what would this account for? 1-2K in a final compiled binary? I'd call that worth it.

yeah I would like that I'll keep an a eye on things, having only had to tweak cs biped's walk, "ridiculous" run and jumps to do stuff going at it from scratch will be a challenge I am willing to take on just not completely from scratch i.e. building rigs

well we'll see

thanks

Return to “Animation”