interactive geometry, techniques ?

Game Engine, Players & Web Plug-in, Virtual Reality, support for other engines

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

wizzleteet

interactive geometry, techniques ?

Postby wizzleteet » Sun Dec 29, 2002 2:15 am

hi all,
from an architectural point of view I am very interested in using (game)blender for a new kind of project, think of it as 'interactive architecture', not completely unlike kas oosterhuis's 'hyperbody' project (www.hyperbody.nl).
For hyperbody I have written some virtools plugins in C++ to have some sort of interactive nurbslike geometry and database connectivity (mysqlbb.sourceforge.net) and I must say that was quite a pain, esp. b/c it appeared that C++ is out of a regular architecture student's league.

So for a project proposal of my own I am very interested in using blender, b/c of the python interface and it's license, it appears that software development in an academic environment does not work well with proprietary licenses, knowledge is lost far too easy and often it appears that some company has built it already like two years ago...

So, my big question is:
how would one go about in making and controlling interactive geometry, both as an assembly of parts (like a skeleton) and as a single piece of geometry, like moving a CV on a nurbsline ?

OTO

Postby OTO » Mon Dec 30, 2002 3:51 pm

????????????

Hi, i never go to school so it's quite dificult to me to understand
your statements and questions :)

What i can say to you is that it's quite easy and fast to "build" environments
with Blender, that you can use them in the Internet with the browser plug-in
and the Blender Game engine only works with Meshes-polygons-vertices

With Python scripts you have almost no limits
Bye
António

(i love contemporary architecture very much. I would like to see your Blender works
when done :))

wizzleteet

Postby wizzleteet » Tue Dec 31, 2002 4:04 pm

"With Python scripts you have almost no limits "

that I would like to see...
HOW would one manipulate a mesh in the gameengine ?

OTO

Postby OTO » Tue Dec 31, 2002 7:12 pm

Hello

I'm not the good person to talk about Python scripts!

You should read the Python and Api docs
Anyway besides the classic transformation (scale and the like)
i've saw a little demo where the vertices were controlled
in real time by "mesh.getMesh or mesh.setVetrtex or something like
that".
Do a search or i can send you the demo (when i'll find it) :)
Bye
António

wimvandervurst

Postby wimvandervurst » Mon Jan 06, 2003 3:30 pm

hi,

going through the available documents i was fearing that i was the only one looking for an answer on this subject... It's nice to know there are some other people looking for the same answer...
I tried using the mesh module and the linking it to the current scene but as i'm not very experienced with it i couldn't get it working...
if some answers should arise i would very much appreciate it if it was posted...

the problem with architects is that they are always trying to misuse the software for their own purposes, which i like...

it would be nice however if the whole set of modeling tools, for ex. boolean functions etc... would be accesible through python within the gameengine...

so... good luck.

Wim

Return to “Interactive 3d”