Move Object Centers only

Blender documentation projects, tutorials, translation, learning & teaching Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

FastEddy

Move Object Centers only

Postby FastEddy » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:05 pm

Hi Folks,

short time ago I purchased the blender 2.3 guide and additionally downloaded the PDF docs beeing online.
And I am very happy using blender again after testing several other commercial products the last time (in fact without bigger success).
And now I will use the smartest free 3D-Software for my next project - an animation of some military tanks as an intro for a freeware game.

But:
Now I found this little Button in the 3D-Window, named like the subject of my post. But i cannot found anything about this button anywhere in the docs I have.
I thought, it could be used to move the pivot-axis of an object without moving the object itself (sounds logic, eh?), but this seems to be wrong, because the objects moves, too - exactly as I did not press the button.

Perhaps somebody of you is able to help me.
I am surely not a beginner in Blender, but this time I am at the end of the road...

greets from Siegen/Germany
FastEddy
[D X I . s t u d i o s] --- [ Join my current project: SF2 Intro-Animation ]

Bagration

Postby Bagration » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:19 pm

http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42440

To move the object center, Tab into Edit mode, move the mesh in the opposite direction, then in Object mode move the object back. (Very clumsy...)

Questions like these are better to be asked at elysiun.com. This is a developers forum.

FastEddy

Postby FastEddy » Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:25 am

...indeed very clumsy...

thanks for the quick help, but i think, in the nearest future i'll continue to set object centers by setting the 3d-cursor and use the "center cursor" button.

I know, that here's the developers forum. This, in fact, was the reason for asking here. if somebody should know about this "undocumented" feature, then this would have been you. :D

FastEddy
[D X I . s t u d i o s] --- [ Join my current project: SF2 Intro-Animation ]

matt_e

Postby matt_e » Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:29 am

Actually that's not what the move object centers only does (the name's not so good). It means that when you have a bunch of objects selected and you rotate or scale them, the rotation and scale won't be applied to the objects, but the objects will move around. This is good for aligning a bunch of objects together - you can select that button, then scale to 0 along one axis.

nhirsig

Postby nhirsig » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:20 pm

Those annoying yellow dots that stay behind when you move objects are actually called object origin centers. They mark the location of the original location of the object. When you move an object in object mode they are not affected (they stay with the object). However if you move the vertices in edit mode the center will stay behind and display as a non-rendered "dot". At any time, you can select an object in object mode and press the Centre New button in the Mesh Panel (F9 Editing) and the "dot" will be deleted and a new origin center will be placed at the center point of the objects new location.

joeri

Postby joeri » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:37 am

nhirsig wrote:Those annoying yellow dots that stay behind when you move objects are actually called object origin centers. They mark the location of the original location of the object. When you move an object in object mode they are not affected (they stay with the object). However if you move the vertices in edit mode the center will stay behind and display as a non-rendered "dot". At any time, you can select an object in object mode and press the Centre New button in the Mesh Panel (F9 Editing) and the "dot" will be deleted and a new origin center will be placed at the center point of the objects new location.

That's the most weird discription of the 'dot' I've ever read on a blender forum. Although totaly correct from an inverse engineerd perspective I don't think it's wise to put this concept into the future.
I'll try mine now:
The dot marks the location of the object in 3d space. The values in the property window (n) and the values in the IPO window are about the location of this 'dot'. The dot marks where the object sits in your space, it also holds the size and rotation but thoose are not displayed in the dot.
The object can have different content, it can hold meshes (polygons), nurbses, curves, or even nothing (empty). Sure you can move the inside of an object (in edit mode), but as you will rotate the object it will rotate around the dot.
Sometimes after some editing you would want to rotate the object around another pivot than where the dot is at that moment; for example a perfectly centered door will open weirdly, therefore you would want the dot to sit in one of the corners of the mesh cube that is your door. Unfortunatly you cannot select the dot and move that with G (why not martin?). But you can move the whole cube in editmode and move the object back again.
Anyway, there are even plans to remove the dot, because it clutters the view, I think thats not a good idea, because feedback on where an object rotates is very handy in animations. Maybe the pivot could become a draw option thingy that turns on after an object gets an rotation IPO.

UncleZeiv

Postby UncleZeiv » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:22 am

joeri wrote:Unfortunatly you cannot select the dot and move that with G (why not martin?). But you can move the whole cube in editmode and move the object back again

Or, you can use the "Center at cursor" feature after positioning the cursor where the dot should be :)

_dave_

pinhead_66

Postby pinhead_66 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:43 pm

currently you can shift-s to snap the cursor and selected things and the grid.

Would it be possible to add 'the dot' here too?

probably a stupid questions, otherwise the developers would have done so already...

greets

coryalli

Postby coryalli » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:21 am

In case anyone else was looking for the more current solution, like I was, I found out that you can move the orange object center to the 3D cursor's location by using the keyboard shortcut SHIFT-CTRL-ALT-C and then selecting the appropriate option :)

Return to “Documentation & Education”