What to tape?

Discuss and propose activities, arrange carpools, share hotel rooms, arrange dormitories...

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

joeri

What to tape?

Postby joeri » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:23 am

http://www.blender.org/cms/Program.666.0.html

The programm is getting clear.
Are there any ideas on what to tape?

This year I want to plug the audio into the sound system of the waag to get better sound. Maybe even make movies of 'slides only' with the sound.
What do you guys think? Do you rather see all taped and make a selection yourself, or have an edited movie with a general overview?

We will probably have bandwith and diskspace to not have to use bittorrent.
Last year there was not much interest in the mpeg's, so probably we'll use divx only.

Please state your comments so I have a better idea on what to make.

rcas

Re: What to tape?

Postby rcas » Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:05 pm

joeri wrote:http://www.blender.org/cms/Program.666.0.html

The programm is getting clear.
Are there any ideas on what to tape?

This year I want to plug the audio into the sound system of the waag to get better sound. Maybe even make movies of 'slides only' with the sound.
What do you guys think? Do you rather see all taped and make a selection yourself, or have an edited movie with a general overview?

We will probably have bandwith and diskspace to not have to use bittorrent.
Last year there was not much interest in the mpeg's, so probably we'll use divx only.

Please state your comments so I have a better idea on what to make.

Here is my opinion:

Friday
- Verse Session
- Blender & Architecture Session
- Box Modeling Workshop - Character's Head
- Verse Developers Session

Saturday
- A Renderman in King Blender's Court
- Game Engine Session
- Artist Tutorials
- Python Masterclass

Sunday
- Blender and (Open) Movie Creation
- Python Session

Sound quality must be improved, last years movies were bad in sound quality, in most of it was really hard to figure out what the person was saying.

And, Mpeg or DivX, as long as it works in Linux it is fine for me. Why not use Theora open format :) , just to keep it Open Source.

Also, the best thing for the movies would be an edited version of them, with "slideshow + sound" and "actual video + sound" mixed together. But this may end up being pretty time consuming.
How to use a Blender:
Put your model, rig, animation and textures in the Blender, turn the Blender on and wait for it to Render, then turn the Blender off and show it to your friends.

winfried

Postby winfried » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:08 pm

I.m.h.o. it's better to have a few videos with good sound quality than a lot that are hardly understandable. So plugging into the P.A. system sounds a vrey good idea.

Suggestions:
head modeling session
renderman
artist tutorials
Blender open movie creation

LetterRip

Postby LetterRip » Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:28 am

I'd prefer slideshow + sound - should be massive bandwidth savings and great quality improvement.

LetterRip

fiammy

Postby fiammy » Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:01 pm

I think that should be possible after the conference. Mind you, not everybody will use slides. For those who do, it would be nice to have those slideshows, and just add the recorded sound to it... I don't know if it is something that will have much demand, though.

joeri

Postby joeri » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:45 am

4 reactions.
Looks like it's not worth to tape the conference.

thoro

Postby thoro » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:02 pm

Hmm, I don't know how many Blender users look at this forum - the sparse feedback is strange...

Maybe you're right and it's not worth the effort - but many users may just take it for granted. I think a taped version of the Blender artist relevant sessions with good sound would be great.

Oso

Postby Oso » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:14 pm

I concur. Being one of the many who is unable to attend in person, I greatly appreciate the ability to view the video after the fact. I think there are many others who would also appreciate this.

Joeri, if you do manage to improve the audio, I think there will be a much greater number of people who would download the various sessions. I hope you will still consider taping the conference. Given that there has been so little response, I think you should make the decision as to what you will tape.

elubie

Postby elubie » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:33 pm

I'm able to come this year, but from last year I did enjoy the possibility of being able to download some of the presentations even though I wished for better sound too.

Now I have no idea how much you can tape, so I can just point out some highlights that I'm looking forward to that I think might be worth preserving and sharing for download. Otherwise I'd say tape as much as it's feasible.

Friday:
- Box Modelling Head workshop

Saturday:
- A Renderman in King Blender Court
- Artist Tutorials
- Suzanne Awards
- Python Masterclass
- Orange Technology Session

Sunday
- Blender and Open Movie creation

Also depending on the nature of the presentation I think Slides + Audio could work really well too and possibly preserve a lot of bandwidth.

--- Elubie

zupermonkey

Re: What to tape?

Postby zupermonkey » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:38 pm

Tape as much as you can :P and let the users make a selection :)

joeri

Postby joeri » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:15 am

This year all sessions in the main room where taped.
I've got the speakers on camera mini dv and the beamer output on vhs.
The sound from the waag sound system was taped on the vhs to.

So now comes the hours and hours of transfering all the analog recordings to my computer (in 2005 this still goes in realtime, so it will take me 6 days to capture everything if I didn't have a full time job to go to)

The sound should be better than last year, but not all speakers talk into the microphone which I can't help, and the technic at the waag was not always on our side (breaking down, wrong settings, no local technician at all times).
And there was not always a microphone to record the audience.
For some interesting presentations I can put the q. as text on screen. But this means manual editing and will eat another big portion of my time.

On to the work.
Please post requests on which sessions to do first, so I can upload them as soon as possible.

All presentations where good, some very good and one or two not quite on par, (personal) suggestions and notes:
-Bassam did a presentation on the new armatures (inverse footlock)
-Matt shows how easy and wonderfull it is to use curves.
-Andy made a 3d picture from sketch to something that looks like an image in 1 hour.
-Francisco Ortiz had nice comments about computer art
-Marc and Serge Ume showed incredible blender SFX in feature film
-The renderman session has audio problems.
-Orange did not present the making of, they promissed to release that on their blog.

Oso

Postby Oso » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:42 pm

Joeri,

First off, THANK YOU for recording this stuff. Since I was unable to attend the conference again this year (I'm hoping maybe next year I can finally make it), I look forward to your videos.

I'll take things in any order they come. I'd love to see Andy's presentation somewhere near the top of the list, if possible.

Hos

Postby Hos » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:45 am

Thanks for doing this for another year, Joeri.
As one who wasn't able to attend or watch the
streamed content (codec issues), I really
appreciate having the archived footage.

Chris

winfried

Postby winfried » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:54 am

If it is of any help I could give a hand with one or two sessions. I live in Amersfoort so if your place is not too far away, I could pick up the tape(s). I can however capture only digital video, not VHS, so that would need to be recorded back on digital tape or DVD.

Winfried

joeri

Postby joeri » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:59 pm

Official page is up now:
http://www.blender.org/cms/Conference_2 ... 714.0.html

kakapo wrote:and where could i see the videos which where nominated for suzanne awards?

Interesting you should ask: They are on the unofficial not connected to blender.org site elysiun.

I (accedently) taped the awards on vhs, I could release that but that would be an insult on the works I guess.
I am planning to convert all this years suzanne movies for the 10 years dvd (a bit on hold now because of this project) and could release that, but that will not be soon I think. Maybe somebody else could do the conversion to PAL and NTSC? I could make all the single files available for download.

Return to “Blender Conference 2013”