BMRT...

Blender's renderer and external renderer export

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

ThrashDog6

BMRT...

Postby ThrashDog6 » Sun Dec 22, 2002 1:10 am

Okay, so I've finally gotten around to DL-ing -Blender to Renderman converters and I go to the Exluna site to get BMRT, only to discover...

BMRT is no longer available for download!! :(

Is there a mirror someplace where I could still get it, or some equivalent Renderman-compliant renderers I could download?

Thanks,
ThrashDog

MrMunkily

Postby MrMunkily » Sun Dec 22, 2002 5:52 am

don't waste your time. move on. yafray is maturing. perhaps you should try that. It, actually, has a future.

Or else go with 3delight or aqsis.

wavk

Postby wavk » Mon Dec 23, 2002 11:27 am

Yep, that's my advice too. It's not evolving, so don't waste your time. I'd suggest 3dVirtualight.

avirnig

Postby avirnig » Tue Dec 24, 2002 7:00 am

virtualight is a good alternative to bmrt and it is relatively fast compared to bmrt but if you want to download it her is the link:

http://www.rhino3d.com/bmrt.htm

srht

Postby srht » Tue Dec 24, 2002 11:13 pm

You may find older versions of RenderMan compatible renderer BMRT if you are lucky via google . But there are other compatible renderers such as 3delight.com or other pieces of software...

what about doing the reverse, loading .rib data into blender? martian labs has glue for houdini @ martian-labs.com/glue_inddex.html . maybe just a stupid idea

PaulM

Re: BMRT...

Postby PaulM » Mon Dec 30, 2002 2:02 pm

ThrashDog6 wrote:Okay, so I've finally gotten around to DL-ing -Blender to Renderman converters and I go to the Exluna site to get BMRT, only to discover...

BMRT is no longer available for download!! :(

Is there a mirror someplace where I could still get it, or some equivalent Renderman-compliant renderers I could download?

The linux version is still available from Tucows.

But as the others already mentioned it won't be updated anymore, consider it dead. The renderman-compliant alternatives are indeed Aqsis (under active development, good future, not too stable though), 3delight (closed source but free, and the 1.0 release coming soon according to the website).

VirtuaLight is also a very good renderer capable of great GI, but is much more a raytracer that the others (speed less of an issue) and has it's own non-renderman-compliant scene format. Also, the shader-writing options for VL are not as general as the Renderman Shading Language.

And, finally, BMRT is still a very stable Renderman-compliant renderer (if you stay away from subdivs).

Regards,
Paul

ThrashDog6

Postby ThrashDog6 » Tue Dec 31, 2002 3:20 am

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm *trying* to try out yafray, but I'm having a hard time of it. I missed that you have DL a few different packages to make it work, and only got the most recent update, sans important supporting files. :oops:

Return to “Rendering”