me waitin' for SWF export too

really really cool

coders are alien gods for me..

me waitin

patient...

:D

e-tek

Postby e-tek » Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:33 pm

I was really happy to know that some one care for this subject (.swf export) as some one that start using flash and blender at the same time, I always wish something like that, as its says above blender can achieve a lot from being able to export .swf, that specially because software like Vecta 3d and Swift 3d cost some money , not something that web designers that isn't really into 3d will put in, I believe that doing a .swf exporter in blender and announce it in macromedia site can help blender to become more popular (and maybe the "3d in flash" will to).I'm not a programmer, so I have nothing really to offer (I can help in what concern publish it to web when needed).

Also I want to make a notice as a web designer that the exported .swf should be as much as small as possible(i.e. the blender logo in http://www.angelfire.com/nt/teklord/swfexport.htm "weight" 85 K its to much to be useable) , hope you keep it in mind , because again it’s a great idea for blender and its users.
Again thanks for working on it , I think its can even make a different in blender popularity , I wish I can help achieve it , so let me now !

Eyal

dittohead

Postby dittohead » Mon May 05, 2003 7:14 pm

ummm, maybe i didn't read, and maybe it was never brought up, but are we talking about vector flash animation, or realtime 3d game/anim?

both would be good, but i like the vector idea better ;) ....
dittohead

volcaino

Postby volcaino » Wed May 07, 2003 1:13 pm

Hey all,

Sorry about the lack of news regarding the progress of the swf exporter lately, but i've been incredibly busy with my band.

www.detour180.com if anyone is interested.

Anyway, i digress. Not much progress has been made since my last post, however i am still working on the script. The GUI is pretty much finished for the moment, i now just have to get the back end working so the GUI has got something to run!!!

In reply to the last couple of posts: what i am working on is a python script (for the moment) to export from blender to the flash .SWF file format. This will allow web designers to include 3d content in their design without forking out huge dollars for expensive software. The task i have undertaken is pretty huge, so we'll all just have to see how it turns out. :)

As a web designer myself, i understand that it is important to get the file size as small as possible, and i am trying to work that into the script. The file sizes will be significantly less than the 85k of the previous example. I have already written some optimisation into the script i am working on and have gotten that particular example down to 66k. I imagine that this will be the largest possible size (for this particular example) as the logo animation consists of a full mesh for every frame. All those lines take up a lot of space!!! :)

Anyway, just though that i'd keep you all posted on where i'm at. Keep up the encouragement, and i'll try and get a release of the script out as soon as i've gotten past the full wireframe only export.

volcaino
http://www.detour180.com

dittohead

Postby dittohead » Wed May 07, 2003 6:48 pm

will this by any chance work in linux? i do have windows if i need to use that.

this project sounds very promising, i wish i had some sort of skill that would help you. but i don't :cry:

i can't wait, thanks for the what you're doing!!
dittohead

dittohead

Postby dittohead » Wed May 07, 2003 6:55 pm

DOH!!

never read the other posts, i really can't wait, this has been something i've always wanted from blender, but never really had paitence to learn a programming language...

thanks for your hard work, i think once this gets out to the public, people will swarm to it. it will be VERY big.
dittohead

ideasman

Postby ideasman » Sun May 11, 2003 11:56 am

The way I would go about this for a quick hack would be to export frames to autotrace (opensource app that can convert images to SWF) and then combine each swf into an animation.

The combining bit I'm not sure about, but it can't be that hard.

This is pretty clunky and would not be fast (render then vetcorize) but I think It could be done an a week or two as a plugin.

Really nice results would be possible with toon shading and with a nice gui with sliders would make it easy to tweak the tracing otps.

This would be a fun project, bummer I have so much homework.

Riskbreaker

Postby Riskbreaker » Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:03 pm

Can i get an update on this project?

Im still very interested.............

sumedho

working SWF export

Postby sumedho » Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:49 am

I have made a start on a working SWF export. See

http://madbastard1.tripod.com for details....

Currently it supports:

- the camera view including lens parameters
- fill color from material
- 3 and 4 vertice polys
- multiple objects by selection
- back face culling

It is very alpha and rough but does work. I am adding anim support in the next few days. Anyone want to add to it feel free.
:D

volcaino

Postby volcaino » Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:37 am

Woohoo!! Someone else working on a SWF export, now we should be able to get something running twice as fast.

Just to update everyone on where my one is at, check this out:

http://coultoncreation.helix.net.nz/ble ... ogress.htm

However, i may grab this new script from Sumedho and see what i can do with that :)

Functional SWF export is almost here, i can feel it!!!

Volcaino

sumedho

Postby sumedho » Thu Jun 19, 2003 4:04 am

Please feel free to use any code you can salvage from my script.

It took me a while to get the camera working correctly because of the back to front co-ordinate system of blender. I think good SWF export would be good for blender. The hidden line removal is a bit difficult. What algorithm are you using?

volcaino

Postby volcaino » Thu Jun 19, 2003 4:21 am

the hidden line algorithm is what i'm working on at the moment, i just kind of made my own. i should probably look around on the internet some more to try and find a proper one or something :)

i think your script will be a huge help to my one, cause you deal with some of the things that i couldn't figure out.

are you planned on developing your script further?

volcaino

sumedho

Postby sumedho » Thu Jun 19, 2003 8:14 am

I will keep experimenting. I would like to make something that works alright so I can use it personally in my projects.:D

I have a few different hidden line removal algorithms but some of it is difficult to implement. I read that in Swift3d they had to develop their own algorithms to implement a nice solution. The developers said not much of it had been done before.

Let me know if you have any breakthroughs in your code. It would be good to have a nice tool for SWF export in Blender. It would certainly do a lot to promote Blender.

Be nice if SWF export could be hard coded into Blender so just press button and render to SWF :D

Riskbreaker

Postby Riskbreaker » Fri Jun 20, 2003 8:41 am

So close :shock: Its all coming together now :D

Keep up the awesome work guys :D :D

dittohead

Postby dittohead » Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:47 am

:D can't wait.

i would help if i had the skills. :cry:

anyway, you guys are great!!
dittohead

Return to “Rendering”