Managing bundled scripts (important)

Scripting in Blender with Python, and working on the API

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Managing bundled scripts (important)

Postby willian » Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:59 am

(also posted on elYsiun: )

Now that many scripts are packaged with Blender itself, we will need an organized effort to maintain and update / upgrade the selection. We'd like to discuss with you all to find the best way to do this.

The basic idea is that we could form a group to take care of the bundled scripts. Everyone can participate, but those in charge must have good knowledge about bpython scripting and sensibility to communicate (aka being reasonable) with others, since the work will involve talking to script writers and developers. Making small updates to the scripts to integrate them better and finding out what is still missing that should be added are also part of the work. It's a good opportunity to learn more about Blender scripting and being part of the program's development.

Lastly, it's an important effort for Blender, needed for every release from now on and shouldn't take that much of each volunteer's time, actually. Resources should not be a problem either: sites, forum, mailing lists, it's all available.

There's more to write about, but this is enough for a start. So to discuss now: how can we maintain the bundled scripts? Is forming a group a good idea? If so, how can this group work (resources), what else can we do?

The current set of scripts, also shipped with 2.34, can be found in Blender's cvs: ... bf-blender

Willian (IanWill)

Postby z3r0_d » Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:14 am

perhaps some common scripts need a common UI

for example IO scripts:

do they only export selected objects, or the whole scene [or all scenes? or a particular scene?], or do you prompt?

should there be a way to have the script use the global position/orientation for objects...?

it is nice how many go to the file window however....

Postby stiv » Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:45 pm

Starting a script group *is* a good idea, now that they are part of blender.

A separate Script category has been created in the Bug Tracker already for script bugs.

Postby Robin » Sun May 29, 2005 3:09 pm

How do I use the python script? Where do I extract them?

Never mind. I got it working.
Last edited by Robin on Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby lox_federico » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:51 pm

This is not a GOOD idea, this is a VERY GOOD idea :!:

Actually I'm keeping updated the scripts I use on my own making them available in the Scripts menu and modifying the source whenever it complains. It wold be very nice to have this work done by an official Blender group.

I agree with z3r0_d too, all the UI-enabled scripts need a sort of a "common interface", e.g. lets compare Klop-Utils' interface vs. Discombombulator's one.
Federico "Lox" Lucignano

Author of: - InfoSquid: IT abyss

Contributor on: - BlenderNation: fresh Blender news, every day

Return to “Python”