How to make a solid object trail in game engine?

Game Engine, Players & Web Plug-in, Virtual Reality, support for other engines

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

FabioFrosaa

How to make a solid object trail in game engine?

Postby FabioFrosaa » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:29 pm

[/img]http://postimage.org/image/y98g8rrhz/[img]

Hi, everyone.

I tried to make a moving object leave a trail. What I wanted was that trail to be a solid continuous object, like a real-time extrusion following the movement. But the only way I came up was telling the object to continuously add another object at its position, like you see in the image.

Do you have any hint on how I could get the result I wanted?

Thanks.[/img]

stiv

Postby stiv » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:00 am

Particles.

happylifes

Postby happylifes » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:50 pm

I think you need to add the object like what you did before... and then with a script in python parent them realtime.... this should work. But you have to be carefull because it can become heavy and put your frame rate down.

good luck

FabioFrosaa

Postby FabioFrosaa » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:42 am

Stiv, How do I use particles in the BGE?

Happylifes, I don't known how to write scripts, if I use the "parent" actuator could I do that?

zamise

Postby zamise » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:28 pm

I'm new, but as far as I can tell can't use particles in the GE, except with a custom script maybe I've seen, but don't understand. However, I did something similar by adding an empty and parenting it to the object, then using logic editor on it add an always sensor with true level triggering, linked to AND control linked to an edit obj actuator, set obje to itself and time to like 50 or maybe more. Maybe need to add a timer property with a slower interval, but if you don't set the time it will eventually bog down with too many objects. Hopefully that comes close to what you are wanting to do or modify the method to do what you need, if not sorry.

FabioFrosaa

Postby FabioFrosaa » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:23 pm

That's awsome, Zamise.

I've found the same solution here, and I set the render to no lights so the objetects seems like the same.

http://postimage.org/image/h2ncdc9mb/

I would still like to find a way to do that like an extrusion. So I can set the lights normally and play with the form of the trail.

but so far so good.

Thanks for the tip.

Return to “Interactive 3d”