Previous Thread  Next Thread

chat icon OS X

chickenbake

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 6:15 am
Is anybody working on the OS X port? If so what needs to be done to get it to start running on X.2

-Pat

nutville

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 8:56 am
I will work on it. I think the last beta was build on OSX 10.1.5. I am trying to install OSX at home at the moment and see what the issues are. It should work but I understand that the step from 10.1.5 to 10.2 is rather big. Basically you don't need anything, just the developer tools that come with OSX. For the GHOST library, there are some Apple Project Builder and CodeWarrior projects so that you can use a graphical debugger.
Maarten

Zaknafein

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 2:51 pm
I have OSX 10.2.1 and the 2.23 beta run on it.

Zak.

antont

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 6:01 pm
2.23 and 2.25 run on 10.2(.1 in my case), but awfully slowly it seems. I do have a slow machine (400MHz G4 laptop), but if memory serves correctly e.g. game examples were well fast enough on 10.1 (sometime last winter) on the 2.23 beta. I don't know if it has to do with using OpenGL or what. Or how is the performace for you?

Hopefully a mere recompile under 10.2 will help. Quite a lot has changed indeed, as .2 (jaguar) uses GCC3 etc.

~Toni

knoxer

Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 7:55 pm
I also have no problem running 2.23 or 2.25 on OS X 10.2.1, but I don't know how to use it well enough to comment on the speed.

I'm looking forward to an updated build (whenever that may be). The use of GCC 3.1 and improved OpenGL in 10.2 should speed things up. 10.2 may be a requirement for furure builds if the newer technology is used, but that's fine with me Smile

I hope that eventually Blender can support multiple processors and AltiVec (vector porcessing) in OS X (at least I don't think it does yet) Hopefully we can get some good programmers on board!

I'm available to test developmental builds (I love OS X, I can test buggy test software with no fear of it harming my system!)

By the way, does anyone live anywhere near Iowa (U.S.) who would be willing to let me watch over their shoulder while they use Blender (on any platform)? I learn well by example Smile

Jason

sgefant

Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 10:00 pm
In case anyone missed it, I posted some remarks on building blender on OS X 10.2 in this thread: http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=245&start=15

hope this helps,
sgefant

antont

Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 12:01 am
I actually had missed those instructions -- thanks for the pointer! Unfortunately had no luck compiling yet, as you can see from my reply there, http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=1818#1818

~Toni

Humphrey

Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 8:26 am
Well it's slow enough for me in 10.1.5 I'd hate to see how much slower it is in 10.2!!!!!

Maybe it's cause I only have 128mb of ram?

antont

Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 4:34 pm
Humphrey wrote:
Well it's slow enough for me in 10.1.5 I'd hate to see how much slower it is in 10.2!!!!!
Maybe it's cause I only have 128mb of ram?

Actually, it should be faster in 10.2 -- due to better OpenGL and other optimizations (e.g. the new compiler), as stated in the other thread too.

The problem I had is probably just something in my configuration. Just tested a fresh download here at the university with an eMac, that also seems to have just 128M ram and is a 700MHz G4 with GForce2MX, running 10.2.1, and Blender works beatifully (I've used the hotwheels2.blend game to test).

Unfortunately I didn't bring a firewire cable with me and couldn't find any here, so can't test how it would work when booting this hardware from the harddisk in my laptop where I've had the problem. Seems as if it didn't use hardware acceleration at all, it's so ridiculously slow (similar to how it behaved on a Linux box when the hw acceleration was not enabled). Of course it could also be that the poor old 8M ATI Rage 128 Mobility can't handle the textures, but it did work well last spring when I used it more. So will have to continue the search.. I even tried examining with the nifty OpenGL profiler that came with the DevTools, but didn't get what was happening.

~Toni

knoxer

Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 7:16 pm
Does anyone know who would have the authority to update versiontracker.com to show Blender Publisher 2.25? The only Blender download listed is Blender Creator 2.23-a.01.

Jason

bootsch

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 10:44 pm
Maarten said all you need are just X and the basic development tools -
I have 10.2.1 with all dev. tools installed, after setting the SRCHOME
en MAKEFLAGS build fails at creator.c

>creator.c:37: header file 'MEM_guardedalloc.h' not found
>../blender/include/BIF_gl.h:45: header file 'GL/gl.h' not found
>../blender/include/BIF_gl.h:46: header file 'GL/glu.h' not found
>creator.c:80: header file 'render.h' not found
>creator.c:168: undefined type, found `Scene'

Evil or Very Mad

Could anybody help me, give a pointer - I really want this to work

markluffel

Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 6:11 am
The GL headers on OSX are actually <OpenGL/gl.> and <OpenGL/glu.h>

There may be linkage problems too, funny things called dylibs keep preventing me from building open source stuff. I haven't gotten that far though. I'm waiting until my X.2 arrives so that I can use the new Developer Tools (with gcc).

VelikM

Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 8:17 am
In the readme file under building on os x it says;
"FINK:
Use fink (http://fink.sourceforge.net/) to install the following libraries that
Blender depends on:
1. openssl (fink install openssl)
2. jpeg (fink install jpeg)
3. png (fink install png)"
openssl installed ok, jpeg and png both give "Failed: no package found for specification 'png'!" "Failed: no package found for specification 'jpeg'!"
Is there a different path for the packages, that isn't included with the default fink install?
Fink installed with out any complaints, much better than the last time I tried it. Smile

bootsch

Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 9:13 am
VelikM wrote:
In the readme file under building on os x it says;

So you found a readme file - in what directory could I find that?
I was hoping for a README (and INSTALL) in the topdirs.

While bashing - i'm missing some 'configure' tool as well.

Anyways - trying the Fink installs now.

Thanks for the tips - I'll be back

Bootsch

bootsch

Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 9:21 am
markluffel wrote:
The GL headers on OSX are actually <OpenGL/gl.> and <OpenGL/glu.h>

mmm, but you would expect some switch to point to the right version?
not? I can't imagine going into the code and change this hardwired Wink
(actually I can - but I won't - only when I have to - ok, I admit, done it before)

working ...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to: