A newbie question - mirroring

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

jfv

A newbie question - mirroring

Postby jfv » Thu Nov 21, 2002 10:17 am

I'm still a beginner at modeling, and completely new to Blender, so
this may be obvious, but I cant figure out how to mirror a mesh. I
see the duplicate operation, but this doesnt mirror, does it?

Any help appreciated,

Jack

luckybreak

Postby luckybreak » Fri Nov 22, 2002 12:42 am

Blender has no "instant-mirror"button but no matter, you can achieve the same in any 3D software with just a few extra clicks.
To create a mirror image of an object duplicate it (Shift-D) hit escape so you don't move it. Now scale the copy -1 in the Z axis (its best just to press N key to access the Numeric Transform Number menu and scale from there). You may need to scale in a different axis if you want to flip the object a different way.
Note that mirroring can invert the normals (object goes black) solve this by switching off [DoubleSided] in the edit buttons, hitting [FlipNormals] and selecting the vertices of the mesh and hitting Ctrl-N or Shift-Ctrl-N.

A good trick for working on heads, where you want a line of symmetry down the middle is work on just the left half. Go ahead and completely delete the right side. Then quit Edit Mode and duplicate the object with Alt-D (Duplicate-Linked) instead of Shift-D. Once again scale -1 in Z axis. Now because you created a linked copy, any changes to the left side object will be updated in the right side object. Once you have created your head, just join the objects with Ctrl-J, select all the vertices down the centre line and press Remove Doubles in the edit buttons to join the two meshes.
Last edited by luckybreak on Fri Nov 22, 2002 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

luckybreak

Postby luckybreak » Fri Nov 22, 2002 12:47 am

Tips like this can be found at the blender knowledge base
or do a search of the Question and Answers forum of www.elysiun.com no doubt the mirror question has been answered there several times.

kAinStein

Postby kAinStein » Mon Dec 23, 2002 2:40 am

luckybreak wrote:Blender has no "instant-mirror"button but no matter, you can achieve the same in any 3D software with just a few extra clicks.

Errrh... Yep, just hit 's' (for the scaling mode) and then 'x' or 'y' without moving the mouse... But this may invert face normals... Hit 'ctrl-n' to make them point outward or 'shift-ctrl-n' for inward...

No extra clicks needed... ;)

koob

Postby koob » Sun Feb 16, 2003 5:01 pm

Hi,

easiest best way I find is to go into edit mode, press 'a' to select all, shift-d to copy and the do the s followed by x or y (then hit enter) This removes any problems with the faces inverting, but you do usually have to move the mirrored copy across to line up the centre. If you want to join the two sides after getting it as central as possible, select the middle 'join' (where the two sides meet), size it on the x axis (or whichever way you are facing) down to 0 and then remove doubles.

But thats just how I do it :)

Return to “Interface & Tools”