Mirror modifier and the "Do clipping" option

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

ph0ngwh0ng

Mirror modifier and the "Do clipping" option

Postby ph0ngwh0ng » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:30 am

Hi!

I was just running through the Gus tutorial and happened to notice strange behaviors with the Mirror modifier and the "Do clipping" option. I figure that I'd post this on the developper forums since I'm not sure if they are bugs or not.

Strange behavior #1
1. Create a cube, subdivide it once and erase half of it by selecting all the vertices on one side of the cube then pressing XKEY.
2. Add a Mirror modifier so that you get a cube again and set Merge Limit to 0.0000 and activate "Do clipping".
3. Select the middle vertices(3) of the cube's bottom face.
4. Press GKEY and drag them. At home, only two of the vertices are dragged and clipped correctly, while the other one can ban dragged on the other side of the mirror.

Strange behavior #2
This behavior might be related to a lack of knowledge on my part as of what the "Do clipping" button does.
1. Create a cube, subdivide it once and erase half of it by selecting all the vertices on one side of the cube then pressing XKEY.
2. Add a Mirror modifier so that you get a cube again and set Merge Limit to 0.1000 and activate "Do clipping".
3. Select any vertex lying on the mirror plane.
4. Press GKEY and drag it. At home, the selected vertex cannot be dragged "out" of the mirror plane. Is this normal and wanted?

Thanks!

Alex

z3r0_d

Re: Mirror modifier and the "Do clipping" option

Postby z3r0_d » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:06 am

ph0ngwh0ng wrote:4. Press GKEY and drag them. At home, only two of the vertices are dragged and clipped correctly, while the other one can ban dragged on the other side of the mirror.

bug, the merge limit should never be zero and the behavior you speak of shouldn't happen

ph0ngwh0ng wrote:4. Press GKEY and drag it. At home, the selected vertex cannot be dragged "out" of the mirror plane. Is this normal and wanted?

feature: that is what it's supposed to do

ph0ngwh0ng

Postby ph0ngwh0ng » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:25 am

Ok, should I report the bug? Have you?

ph0ngwh0ng

Postby ph0ngwh0ng » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:59 am

ph0ngwh0ng wrote:
4. Press GKEY and drag it. At home, the selected vertex cannot be dragged "out" of the mirror plane. Is this normal and wanted?

Maybe I expressed myself badly. What I meant is that those vertices are "glued" to that plane. That is: suppose the mirror plane is the XZ plane. Then I can only move the vertices on the X or Z axis, not on the Y axis. Is that what you understood at first?

z3r0_d

Postby z3r0_d » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:57 am

ph0ngwh0ng wrote:
ph0ngwh0ng wrote:

Maybe I expressed myself badly. What I meant is that those vertices are "glued" to that plane. That is: suppose the mirror plane is the XZ plane. Then I can only move the vertices on the X or Z axis, not on the Y axis. Is that what you understood at first?

yes, that is exactly how I understand it should work...

For example: you probably do not want to move a vertex on the center of someone's nose away from the mirror plane creating a hole in the center of their nose.

and my above mention of "bug" is that the interface shouldn't let you set a value of zero, the behavior you note as a result is due to floating point inaccuracies.

LetterRip

Postby LetterRip » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:12 am

if you want to move verts off of the mirror plane, just turn off clipping temporarily...

LetterRip

ph0ngwh0ng

Postby ph0ngwh0ng » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:07 pm

yes, that is exactly how I understand it should work...

Cool!

and my above mention of "bug" is that the interface shouldn't let you set a value of zero, the behavior you note as a result is due to floating point inaccuracies

Ok. So should I report the bug, or have you?

Return to “Interface & Tools”