Is there ANY game engine development???

Game Engine, Players & Web Plug-in, Virtual Reality, support for other engines

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Is there ANY game engine development???

Postby gorgan_almighty » Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:01 pm

AM I missing something big time here or is there NO game engine development going on at all????!?!?!?

I've looked in the projects section and theres no projects listed under game engine development. This forum is ment to be used for discussions about developing the game engine, but instead the only stuff being posted here is questions about game making (not game engine development) which should be posted in the forums at instead.

Can I just ask is there any1 out there at all who is actually working on development of C++ code for the game engine?? Anyone at all?? I know some1 called nlin was working on the new ODE physics engine, but we haven't had any updates on that in ages. Is anyone still working on it? Is there any chance that it will be ready for general release anytime soon?

Im sorry if I sound a bit grouchy :) I don't mean to be, its just that it'll be really dissapointing if no-one is bothering to work on the game engine, and if some is then it would be nice to get regular updates in the news and the projects sections.

And another quick reminder to any1 out here using this forum to ask how to do stuff in blender, you should post your questions in the realtime forum at cos thats what that forums ment for, and lots more people use that forum so you're more likely to get an answer to you problems. :)

I agree but what...

Postby Bandoler » Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:06 pm

I agree with you in that, for those of us which expected a big participation in the game engine development, this situation is a little (ok, a lot) disappointing. The only thing i can do is to explain MY situation:
I followed the "liberation" of the blender code and the creation of these portals with big hope. I didn't knew the blender game engine a lot so i made some tests to have an idea of what could be contributed. When the code was opened, i reverse engineered it for some time (because the documentation available is almost nothing), and then what? i ran of of time. And i'm still out of time, but i would contribute if small serious tasks where described somewhere. The problem is that all people who worked in the original Nan Blender, are too busy (understandable anyway) with the "main" blender and "logistics" work. All of them very necessary, i must say.
Something constructive? We need a director.

Postby Pablosbrain » Thu Jan 23, 2003 3:41 pm

Patience is definitely the key here.... They are working on getting blender to compile cleanly on all the different platforms and working to the same level that the last NaN version did, Not a small task. They are doing a great job... I read the emails from the developer list all the time and there is a lot of work being done... I doubt major upgrades are coming for a while yet... especially to the game engine as the game engine sorta relies on things being implemented correctly like the ODE physics engine and stuff. Patience... Patience...

Postby maci_ray » Wed Apr 02, 2003 7:30 am

Is there any more information about current development status?

I would like to implement a feature, but don´t know if ketsji will remain in this form.

Maci Ray.

Re: Is there ANY game engine development???

Postby Hos » Wed Apr 02, 2003 2:34 pm

gorgan_almighty wrote:AM I missing something big time here or is there NO game engine development going on at all????!?!?!?

You are missing nothing: there has been very little game
engine development since Norman Lin committed his
ode integration back in October. The best way to
ensure that the game engine is developed further is
to learn C and C++ programming... these books should
help: ... 0131103628

Return to “Interactive 3d”