Merging 2 .blend files

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Merging 2 .blend files

Postby LazyCoder » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:15 pm

I was wondering how you merge 2 different .blend files into 1. I know it has to do with the append thing but I can't figure out how to use that.

Postby ZanQdo » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:39 am

Import every "Object" by using append, searching for the file, and then in the Object subfolder (no really?), an object will import everything that links to it, like materials, meshes, animation curves etc etc, and almost everything in Blender is an object so that's pretty much what you want.

Other way is to import the entire Scene, then select that newly imported scene from the menu on top and select every objects and do a Ctrl L to link the objects to the first scene, then errase the second scene... but that's just stupid if you can simply import al the objects :roll: ha ha

see you and wellcome
:-) Hosting for your test builds:

Postby joeri » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:58 pm

There is no easy way to merge 2 blender files (with world etc).
That's maybe even a good thing,... from what file should blender choose the world for example?

So the idea is to Lib-append what you need from another file into an empty new file. Blender makes sure that the imported datablocks import everything connected to it. So if you import an object with a mesh, material and a IPO then all are imported, also the image that might be on the texture of the material.

Postby LazyCoder » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:02 am

Ok, thank you. I couldn't figure out why I would select something and click ok, and it wasn't there.

Return to “Interface & Tools”