Windows Use of DocBook XML ?

Blender documentation projects, tutorials, translation, learning & teaching Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

tHe-IcemAn

Windows Use of DocBook XML ?

Postby tHe-IcemAn » Mon Dec 09, 2002 9:32 pm

Aren't there any free tools to publish HTML documents and help in the creation of DocBook XML files for the MS Windows Platforms? It appears that DocBook is geared towards the Linux OS only and that sucks. Linux is a great server platform but rather limited as a Desktop OS so we don't use it at this new job (where is spend 80% of my waking hours).

S68

Postby S68 » Tue Dec 10, 2002 8:31 am

Xinalta has a complete(?) set of tools setted up in a redy-to-install zip file at his site (some iptic space I can't recall... but look in this forum)

And, of course you can install Cygwin ;)

Stefano

SvenP

DocBook under Win

Postby SvenP » Wed Dec 11, 2002 2:54 pm

Hi,

I also looked for some windows tools and find a good working configuration.

1. Editor
A good editor is XMLMindEditor. It has a simple WYSIWYG Interface. There is a free version that can work with standard DTDs (like DocBook). http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor.

2. Parser
To convert the XML to PDF or HTML there ara a toolset called EDE at http://www.e-novative.de. It's free too, but you had to left the copyright part in the output.

Both tools need Java (but you can download Java-Included-Versions of them).

That works fine on my Windows2000 system.

Sven

B@rt

Re: DocBook under Win

Postby B@rt » Thu Dec 12, 2002 8:18 pm

SvenP wrote:1. Editor
A good editor is XMLMindEditor. It has a simple WYSIWYG Interface. There is a free version that can work with standard DTDs (like DocBook). http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor.

I tried that and it works quite well indeed. The only and major drawback is that it seems to mess up the XML layout and that makes merging differences much more difficult. We're looking into tools like XMLIndent to sort out these issues. Until then, we have agreed to stay away from WYSIWYG editors.

In any case, the DocBook/XML structures that we have used so far are very simple - definately not more complex than HTML code.

B@rt

S68

Postby S68 » Fri Dec 13, 2002 5:14 pm

B@rt wrote:I tried that and it works quite well indeed. The only and major drawback is that it seems to mess up the XML layout and that makes merging differences much more difficult. We're looking into tools like XMLIndent to sort out these issues. Until then, we have agreed to stay away from WYSIWYG editors.

I'm very fond of non-wysiwyg editors :)

I've tried XMLeditor too, and what it saves is not so ugly, if we use it to write single section and not to manage the whole project it can be handy.

Stefano

tHe-IcemAn

Postby tHe-IcemAn » Fri Dec 13, 2002 8:47 pm

B@rt wrote: We're looking into tools like XMLIndent to sort out these issues. Until then, we have agreed to stay away from WYSIWYG editors.
B@rt

XMLIndent doesn't have a Windows version either. :( I have found a free tool called XMLEditPro that seems pretty simple to use. I tried loading the style guide online but a couple files have parsing errors, especially the appendencies. Matter of fact all the tools I use have a problem with that file. B@rt, why can't we make a blank template ready to be filled in like we did in the days of the Tutor Guide #2 ??

XMLEditPro 2.0
http://www.daveswebsite.com

S68

Postby S68 » Sat Dec 14, 2002 10:23 am

[quote="tHe-IcemAnI tried loading the style guide online but a couple files have parsing errors, especially the appendencies. [/quote]

:shock:

Really?

Those I wrote with Xemacs, by keying in tags by hand... With DocBook Guide on the screen... Strange behaviour...

Definitely you are right. A template is what you need, but, inddeed, the stle guide IS a template 8)

Stefano

B@rt

Postby B@rt » Mon Dec 16, 2002 7:59 am

tHe-IcemAn wrote:XMLIndent doesn't have a Windows version either. :( I have found a free tool called XMLEditPro that seems pretty simple to use. I tried loading the style guide online but a couple files have parsing errors, especially the appendencies. Matter of fact all the tools I use have a problem with that file. B@rt, why can't we make a blank template ready to be filled in like we did in the days of the Tutor Guide #2 ??

I'll see if I can make an online gizmo that runs XMLIndent over your files and returns them to you - should be straightforward I think.

About the XML editing problem: the cause is probably that the editor doesn't have the DocBook/XML DTD loaded. As far as I know the appendices are valid DocBook/XML. Try taking a shot at it with a syntax coloring texteditor such as EditPlus - writing DocBook is really very easy.

B@rt

tHe-IcemAn

Postby tHe-IcemAn » Tue Dec 17, 2002 4:26 pm

B@rt wrote:About the XML editing problem: the cause is probably that the editor doesn't have the DocBook/XML DTD loaded. As far as I know the appendices are valid DocBook/XML. Try taking a shot at it with a syntax coloring texteditor such as EditPlus - writing DocBook is really very easy.

B@rt

I used XMLmind XML editor which does have Doc:Book, the error I get is that you can only have one top level element and there are like 3 or so "appendix" tags in that one file.

S68

Postby S68 » Tue Dec 17, 2002 5:32 pm

Yes,

that file contains all three appendices, but this cannot be a real issue!

Why should you have to create a separate file for each?

Stefano

tHe-IcemAn

Postby tHe-IcemAn » Tue Dec 17, 2002 8:57 pm

S68 wrote:
Why should you have to create a separate file for each?

Stefano

Don't ask me dude, just that I have 2 editors thjat refuse to open that file, and it even errors out in a web browser! If you don't believe me try it yourself.

theeth

Postby theeth » Wed Dec 18, 2002 7:24 pm

tHe-IcemAn wrote:B@rt, why can't we make a blank template ready to be filled in like we did in the days of the Tutor Guide #2 ??

I'll second that, a fill-in-the-blanks template woulb be great for people who don't really want to see the XML tags and stuff.
I'm sure that if I took some time to check the syntax a little bit, it would be very easy to write a script where you could choose between the different textblock type, paste the text in et voila!

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

kid_tripod

Postby kid_tripod » Mon Dec 23, 2002 12:15 am

High theory here, but wouldn't it be possible to modify a forum (say phpBB) so it sits on top of a CVS system containing DocBook formatted files? Actually it might be easier in raw PHP . . . and leave the clever stuff to the CVS layer, just a nice web based front end.

If you did that it would be dead easy for people to submit updates, which could then be checked and revised.

thorax

Problem with XML

Postby thorax » Thu Dec 26, 2002 5:45 pm

Its a interpretted data format, it isn't a language..

If the XML DTD defined not only the correct interpretation of
the tags, but the correct methods for interpretation, like an embedded
parser description language complete with the routines,
then you wouldn't have problems between the parsers that
read the DTD files and have different methods (read bugs) that
keep them from agreeing on interpretations of XML files.

What I'm doing is comparing message formats to object formats,
XML formats don't maintain their own integrity, you do.. HAHAHAHAHAH

Good luck

Oso

Postby Oso » Fri Dec 27, 2002 6:44 pm

If anyone is still looking for a DocBook environment for Win32, you should probably check out: http://docbook.e-novative.de.

Return to “Documentation & Education”