Why doesnt blender SHOW what blender is?

Feedback to the Blender Foundation and the moderators of this website

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Why doesnt blender SHOW what blender is?

Postby maybites » Sun Nov 10, 2002 9:20 pm

As a newbee with blender watching all this frenzy happening around it over the last months I tried to figure out what this technology is capable of doing.

To be honest, so far I didnt figure it out, despite a good understanding of 3d modelling and animation (ie. 3dStudioMax) or interactive 3d api programming (ie. Director 8.5). This means something important is missing on your site. The issue was already raised with a previous topic (Why doesn't blender.org say what Blender is) and adding a text like

"Blender is a cross plaform 3D creation suite, allowing fully integrated modeling, animation, rendering, post production and interactive 3D creation and playback"

certainly helps but will not do it, since I have figured that out too, but still dont know what it can do. And before I spend days working through documentation and tutorials I want to know where its limits are. and will be. if possible compared to other tools out there.

to get constructive:
a good way would be to show examples (pictures and downloadable blender files to tinker with) of

-complex models with texture maps
-effects (ie. particle systems)
-interactive stuff (for me the most interesting part but I have no clue: can you create content interactively or do you create content to interact with?)

created with blender. a tutorial wouldnt even be necessary for the start, because if I know what can be achieved, I know its wothwhile investing time to learn blender.

Postby talon » Tue Nov 12, 2002 3:03 am

As I see it, Blender.org is the site for the development of the Blender product, I don't believe that it was set up as a beginners starting point. From what I have read on the forums here, blender3d.com, when set up will be designed for beginners and the like with all the examples, descriptions etc that you are looking for.

I hope that answers your question of why blender.org doesn't say what Blender is.
~ Talon ~
"Strike swiftly and silently"

Site Admin

Postby ton » Fri Nov 15, 2002 1:56 pm

a new site, with all info on blender and how to use it is being constructed out of the remains of the old NaN Blender sites.
It's an enormous database, not easy to start with. But we'll get there!

impossible to begin

Postby Lorca » Tue Jan 28, 2003 12:55 am

So... It dosn't explain WHY You (" Magnanimous Blender Developers") take out the old Links to the tutorials. Find a way to use Blender whith the Elisiun site is impossible. :(

Postby matt_e » Tue Jan 28, 2003 1:18 am

Wait until the blender3d.org site is all nice and fixed and updated (it won't be too much longer now, I hope!). Hopefully things will make a bit more sense then.

Re: impossible to begin

Postby Nahtanoj » Tue Jan 28, 2003 11:20 am

Lorca wrote:So... It dosn't explain WHY You (" Magnanimous Blender Developers") take out the old Links to the tutorials. Find a way to use Blender whith the Elisiun site is impossible. :(

Without Blender developers there'd be no blender to find tutorials for!!
As for the links you know aswell as everyone else that pages get shutdown every now and then just be patient.

As for Elysiun just go to the Q&A forum there is a list of active tutorials in there and if your still having trouble just ask a question and you'll find your answer.

Hope you find all that your looking for. :D

Return to “Foundation and Websites”