Previous Thread  Next Thread

chat icon Trouble compiling on Windows

hypereyes

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 2:01 am
I am getting compile errors when compiling blender from the 01-29-03 CVS snapshot. <MSVC6, WinXP> I get the following:

--------------------Configuration: KX_converter - Win32 Debug--------------------
Compiling...
BL_ActionActuator.cpp
..\..\..\source\kernel\gen_system\GEN_Map.h(137) : error C2678: binary '==' : no operator defined which takes a left-hand operand of type 'class GEN_HashedPtr' (or there is no acceptable conversion)
..\..\..\source\kernel\gen_system\GEN_Map.h(135) : while compiling class-template member function 'void **__thiscall GEN_Map<class GEN_HashedPtr,void *>::operator [](class GEN_HashedPtr) '
..\..\..\source\kernel\gen_system\GEN_Map.h(137) : fatal error C1903: unable to recover from previous error(s); stopping compilation
..\..\..\source\kernel\gen_system\GEN_Map.h(135) : while compiling class-template member function 'void **__thiscall GEN_Map<class GEN_HashedPtr,void *>::operator [](class GEN_HashedPtr) '

matt_e

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 2:04 am
Installing the latest MSVC service pack should fix that problem:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/downloads/updates/sp/vs6/sp5/default.asp

I just got Blender compiling on cygwin yesterday - this thread has a lot of useful information that helped me, and may help solve windows compilation problems in general:
http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=692

pgregory

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 3:23 pm
Is anyone with sufficient experience willing to put together a step-by-step set of concise instructions to get this thing compiling from CVS under Windows, cygwin or otherwise. I mean the whole shebang, which libraries to get, how to build them. Completely foolproof. At the moment it is such a mammoth task to get going under Windows, and I would so like to take part in this. Most of the instructions I can find so far are of the level 'just edit the configuration file to suit your system', eh? I tend to give up at that point, life is just too short.

Surely it is silly for everyone who wants to develop under Windows to have to go through the same painful learning process?

Cheers

Harnak

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 4:42 pm
It didn't take much for me to get the latest CVS code to compile in Windows. The README file at the top level has some great information and steps necessary to get Blender to compile under windows with MSVC++

Harnak

pgregory

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 4:52 pm
Tried that, failed on the python/freeze problem. As I said I think what is needed is not, 'this readme has some useful hints' or 'that thread is helpful' but a central document,

1. download this library from here, build it like this...
  2. edit this file, changing these settings to...
  3. make sure that these environment variables are set...
  4. type this command...
  5. load this project...
  6. set your msvc settings to...
  7. build it.

Call me lazy if you like, but I don't have time to keep banging my head against a wall each time I hit another problem trying to build it. I run an Open Source project myself (Aqsis) and, although I won't claim it is perfect in terms of building, it is certainly a lot more straightforward than Blender.

Please don't get me wrong, It is not my intention to offend anyone, I do understand the complexities, I just would really like to take part in this. But cannot spend night after night just trying to get up and running, and I'm sure there are other people out there who would be willing to help if getting on board was easier.

Cheers

PaulG

Harnak

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 8:50 pm
pgregory wrote:
Tried that, failed on the python/freeze problem.

When I get home from work tonight, I'll figure out what I did to solve that issue. I remember it wasn't too difficult, but the actual solution escapes me at the moment.

Harnak

pgregory

Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 5:51 pm
OK, I finally bit the bullet and resolved this. I'll start a note detailing my experience, and perhaps anyone else wanting to get involved on Windows can add to it. It should be in a FAQ somewhere at somepoint. I know it mostly mirrors what is mentioned in the README, but hopefully having it in one place, with all the steps detailed, might help others.

1. My system...

• Windows XP on a Pentium 4 1.4GHz
    • Microsoft Visual Studio 6, Service Pack 5

2. Download and install Python 2.2.2 from here. I installed it to the default location, C:\Python22, if you install it elsewhere be sure to adjust the following steps accordingly.
  3. Add the following directories to the Python install.

• C:\Python22\Lib\python2.2
    • C:\Python22\Lib\python2.2\config
    • C:\Python22\include\python2.2

They don't need to contain anything, just be there.
    Gotcha: make sure that there are no other copies of python.exe on the PATH other than the one you have just installed, in particular the one supplied with Cygwin.
  4. Get the whole 'blender' project using CVS from cvs.blender.org, see here for instructions. I downloaded into a directory called C:\Projects, so again if your location is different, adjust the following steps.
  5. Open Developer Studio, and load the project workspace in C:\Projects\blender\intern\make\msvc_6_0\intern.dsw.
  6. Select the configuration 'build_install_all' and build the whole project. If all is well, this should complete with no errors. Here is where most of the problems arise, related to the Python freeze project. If this doesn't work, go back and check the previous steps related to Python.
  7. Load the project workspace in C:\Projects\blender\projectfiles\blender\blender.dsw.
  8. Select the configuration 'blender' and build it.
  9. Ensure that the file fmod.dll is available in your PATH, it can be found in C:\Projects\blender\lib\windows\fmod\lib.
  10. Run blender.exe from C:\Projects\blender\obj\windows\debug.

HTH someone

Cheers

PaulG

Mats78

Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 1:27 pm
Ok I totally agree that a help file about compiling blender should be made. One that wouldn't assume you to be a programmer! Since blender has been and is being compiled ATM this shouldn't be too hard (or am I worng?).

I myself need some help, I'm quite dissatisfied about the fact that I got this compiled some time ago but since I've had a break and new versions have come out, I can't get it to work anymore =(

I built the build_install_all in intern.dsw and it came out without errors, but when building blender I get this:

--------------------Configuration: BPY_frozen - Win32 Debug--------------------
Build : warning : failed to (or don't know how to) build 'E:\Projektit\CVS\blender\source\blender\bpython\frozen\M_vrml__utils__typeclasses.c'
Compiling...

and this:

fatal error C1083: Cannot open source file: 'E:\Projektit\CVS\blender\source\blender\bpython\frozen\M_mcf.c': No such file or directory
M_mcf__utils.c
fatal error C1083: Cannot open source file: 'E:\Projektit\CVS\blender\source\blender\bpython\frozen\M_mcf__utils.c': No such file or directory
M_mcf__utils__hier_rx.c
fatal error C1083: Cannot open source file: 'E:\Projektit\CVS\blender\source\blender\bpython\frozen\M_mcf__utils__hier_rx.c': No such file or directory
M_mcf__utils__hierobj.c
fatal error C1083: Cannot open source file: 'E:\Projektit\CVS\blender\source\blender\bpython\frozen\M_mcf__utils__hierobj.c': No such file or directory
M_mcf__utils__singletonlist.c
fatal error C1083: Cannot open source file: 'E:\Projektit\CVS\blender\source\blender\bpython\frozen\M_mcf__utils__singletonlist.c': No such file or directory
M_pprint.c
fatal error C1083: Cannot open source file: 'E:\Projektit\CVS\blender\source\blender\bpython\frozen\M_pprint.c': No such file or directory

and this:

fatal error C1083: Cannot open source file: 'E:\Projektit\CVS\blender\source\blender\bpython\frozen\M_vrml__utils.c': No such file or directory
M_vrml__utils__collapse.c
fatal error C1083: Cannot open source file: 'E:\Projektit\CVS\blender\source\blender\bpython\frozen\M_vrml__utils__collapse.c': No such file or directory
M_vrml__utils__err.c
fatal error C1083: Cannot open source file: 'E:\Projektit\CVS\blender\source\blender\bpython\frozen\M_vrml__utils__err.c': No such file or directory
M_vrml__utils__namespace.c
fatal error C1083: Cannot open source file: 'E:\Projektit\CVS\blender\source\blender\bpython\frozen\M_vrml__utils__namespace.c': No such file or directory
M_vrml__utils__typeclasses.c
fatal error C1083: Cannot open source file: 'E:\Projektit\CVS\blender\source\blender\bpython\frozen\M_vrml__utils__typeclasses.c': No such file or directory
Error executing cl.exe.

please give me a hint.. where are those files??

thanks in advance,
Mats

matt_e

Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 1:35 pm
Mats78, I had that problem in MSVC too.

When compiling under cygwin, I (and it seems someone else too) had another python problem (perhaps they're related) which is mentioned here: http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=603 .

For now, I've just disabled python (as mentioned here) and I can build a python-less Blender, which is fine for my purposes anyway. May not be much help to you though..

Mats78

Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 7:09 pm
I got Blender to compile by copying files from the older source I've got stored (fortunately =)) from/into /source/blender/bpython/frozen. I just don't understand how I've created the missing files before.. now they seem impossible to get (?). It has to be something that has changed during the last month or two.

Anyway I've always had a little problem with my compiled version of blender which doesn't seem to get any better. I'm getting strange event-like messages in the console window:

GHOST_EventPrinter::processEvent, time:11935, type: GHOST_kEventCursorMove, (x,y): (565,1016)

You can imagine how they flood the console =) so no use trying to look for python error messages or anything else for that matter... is there some way to hide the messages?

thanks again!

Jump to: