Testing build section

Feedback to the Blender Foundation and the moderators of this website

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

shadowman99

Testing build section

Postby shadowman99 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:51 am

I'd like to suggest the testing builds section should be split into several sections, one for each major operating system. It might encourage people to post test builds more often and would make it easier for users to find pre-built binaries appropriate to their machine.

The testing build section most heavily favors windows builds, and has many outdated threads that are sticky.

Drahcir

Postby Drahcir » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:08 am

I agree.

shadowman99

Postby shadowman99 » Wed May 10, 2006 11:54 pm

Is there a better way for me to make suggestions for changes to the forum? I thought there would be stronger reception to this idea.

stiv

Postby stiv » Thu May 11, 2006 5:24 pm

The testing build section most heavily favors windows builds, and has many outdated threads that are sticky.

Actually, there are only three outdated stickies. Two are probably worth keeping for historical reasons. The third, x86 64 bit linux, contains links to more recent builds. I admit the last one could be organized better.

I suspect the lack of interest in this topic is due to this being a developers forum. Most developers do their own builds. Most users don't read Foundation and Website.

The preponderance of windows builds is probably due to windows users being least likey to be able to compile the source on their own.

It would be nice if the Blender Foundation had a build farm of all our supported platforms where we could do nightly CVS builds. Until that time, test builds is going to be an individual effort.

shadowman99

Postby shadowman99 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:46 pm

I'm going to bump this thread again because I would like to see some cleanup the testing build thread. There are sticky threads going back to March, which was two release cycles ago. If these older threads have historical merit, then perhaps a new forum topic should be created to store such threads by the moderators.

I still contend that a more organized test build section would spur more posting of prebuilt binaries.

Return to “Foundation and Websites”