Textures in VRML export?

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Textures in VRML export?

Postby jkb081759 » Sat Jan 18, 2003 12:26 am

Words cannot express my frustration on trying to get a Blender model to 3ds and retain the textures!!!! So far, I've been able to successfully convert Blender => 3ds via Blender => VRML => Deep Exploration => 3ds. The problem is Blender doesn't export texture coordinates to the VRML model, thus that part is dropped!

If someone was coding the VRML export, why couldn't at least they coded the UV texture coordinates??!?! Why can't that be on the next release?

Are there other paths?

Blender => 3ds
Blender => Deep Exploration => 3ds
Blender => <insert converter here> => 3ds

Postby pato » Tue Jan 21, 2003 2:32 am

You can use the OpenInventor (Inventor) export here:

It may require a little bit of tweaking to get it working with 2.23 (won't work with 2.25). If you have any trouble getting it going I think I have a working python script you can use if you need it. It will export UV mapped coords. 3D Exploration will recognize this format and from there you can export to any format.

Postby IngieBee » Tue Feb 04, 2003 9:09 pm

I used an exporter to .obj with great sucess, then translated it with accutrans at http://www.micromouse.ca

I can't remember where to get the py exporter (but it's so easy to use, and has a gui) so I'll post after I get home today. Hope the info isn't too late.

Love Ingie

Postby IngieBee » Wed Feb 05, 2003 2:13 am

Ok, the exporter is at http://mywebpage.netscape.com/hoshbardam/OBJIO.zip and you can use it with Blender 23, not 24 or 25 but it works very well, and is easy. Then, like I said above, try Accutrans to export.

Hint, export "groups" that are grouped by texture, it makes reassigning the textures easier. Also, you should lay the project on it's side. The exporter or else it's accutrans, sets up the obj file 90 degrees bacwards (when calling the num pad 1 key your front.

If you have any questions, just write me, ingiebee@hotmail.com

Love Ingie

Return to “Interface & Tools”