Blender interface aesthetic wishlist...

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

mpan3

Blender interface aesthetic wishlist...

Postby mpan3 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:56 am

It just occured to me that there is a few things that we can do to improve the appeal and usability of Blender. Most will be focused to create a more interactive working environment.

Here are some examples of what *I* want to see in Blender:

- When switching between views(from side to top, for example), the camera actually interpolate between two point and smoothly translate/rotate to the desired viewport, as oppose to what it does right now: BANG and you are there.

- Ability to SEARCH for a function? This might be a lot to ask but again is a very useful feature: Say the user want to use subsurf but don't know where it is. He/she brings up a search box and types in subsurf. Blender then cycles through all the button captions until it finds one named subsurf, then Blender jumps to that panel and highlights the function for the user.

- Build in HELP: While the wiki is handy, the Blender keyboard shortcut chart should be included somehow within blender and can be easily accessed without having to open another application.

z3r0_d

Re: Blender interface aesthetic wishlist...

Postby z3r0_d » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:51 am

mpan3 wrote:- When switching between views(from side to top, for example), the camera actually interpolate between two point and smoothly translate/rotate to the desired viewport, as oppose to what it does right now: BANG and you are there.

and if you're mesh has hundreds of thousands of polys?

mpan3 wrote:- Ability to SEARCH for a function? This might be a lot to ask but again is a very useful feature: Say the user want to use subsurf but don't know where it is. He/she brings up a search box and types in subsurf. Blender then cycles through all the button captions until it finds one named subsurf, then Blender jumps to that panel and highlights the function for the user.

doesn't seem very useful for me

mpan3 wrote:- Build in HELP: While the wiki is handy, the Blender keyboard shortcut chart should be included somehow within blender and can be easily accessed without having to open another application.
[/quote]
you haven't noticed help->hotkey and mouse action reference?

blender does need better documentation, and probably a way to view it inside of blender... however I don't think the interface needs many changes [at least in the short term]

aligorith

Postby aligorith » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:04 am

mpan3 wrote:- When switching between views(from side to top, for example), the camera actually interpolate between two point and smoothly translate/rotate to the desired viewport, as oppose to what it does right now: BANG and you are there.

What's the point in that? You could probably do that already just by rotating the viewpoint by using the mouse.

mpan3 wrote:- Ability to SEARCH for a function? This might be a lot to ask but again is a very useful feature: Say the user want to use subsurf but don't know where it is. He/she brings up a search box and types in subsurf. Blender then cycles through all the button captions until it finds one named subsurf, then Blender jumps to that panel and highlights the function for the user.

Currently, this is darn-right impossible. It would currently possibly involve making a large list of each function in blender that you want to include, then writing a large block of code that makes things go to the right place.
I agree that it would be nice to have, and is in a similar vein to interactive tutorials.

mpan3 wrote:- Build in HELP: While the wiki is handy, the Blender keyboard shortcut chart should be included somehow within blender and can be easily accessed without having to open another application.

There *is* a built-in hotkey chart. It is in the HELP menu as it should be.

Aligorith

fobsta

Postby fobsta » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:25 pm

a search function would be welcomed by me.

Multigen has a great serach tool where you can set up rules eg.

select all vertices that are below 0 in z AND are coloured green

I found it very useful when creating games for the Nintendo 64

joeri

Postby joeri » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:36 am

I can see how that is very helpfull to people who don't have a real 3d notion of what they are doing, but more a 3 sides view. After ProE Maya has implemented it. It look cool and impresses clients instantly when showing work. Hundreds of polys should not be a problem as the view rotation should take an amount of time to complete and not an amount of frames (ie; skip frames when late)

Why show the button at all? just type in the button you want and press "I feel lucky" then blender presses the button for you! Then create a script with all the buttons you want pressed in a row, et voila! you've created a macro. Alas the current underlaying software does not support a feature like that. But that is going to change.

Well it is included, it's just not nicely designed. A good issue to pick up once the keybinding gets in place.

jay27flow

autosave wish

Postby jay27flow » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:17 pm

Hi Guys!

Blender crashes many times us we know. I have an idea, i dont know is it good or bad, but here it is:
Maybe a new autosave function could be cool, like this: if the mouse movement is stop then it saves (and it is not repeat the save until you start move the mouse and stops again).

I was watching an andrew price video today. There was an 5 minutes, when he saved after EVERY single operation he did!! It was funny and sad. But in fact, it is maybe easyer to do it automatically, depending on mouse moving or not moving and it is easy to learn to stop 1 sec (if are there anybody who never stops :) )

stiv

Postby stiv » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:18 pm

A genius idea! If you go into User-Prefs->File, you will find the Autosave settings - how many versions, and how often.

If you have reproducible crashes, we love bug reports.
http://www.blender.org/development/report-a-bug/

zedeneye1

Re: autosave wish

Postby zedeneye1 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:24 pm

jay27flow wrote:Hi Guys!

Blender crashes many times us we know. I have an idea, i dont know is it good or bad, but here it is:
Maybe a new autosave function could be cool, like this: if the mouse movement is stop then it saves (and it is not repeat the save until you start move the mouse and stops again).

I was watching an andrew price video today. There was an 5 minutes, when he saved after EVERY single operation he did!! It was funny and sad. But in fact, it is maybe easyer to do it automatically, depending on mouse moving or not moving and it is easy to learn to stop 1 sec (if are there anybody who never stops :) )

I've heard/read that alot, that blender crashes all the time. But somehow, I have yet to see it crash even once.

the one thing blender needs to change is how the user settings are saved.

for example, I'm working with a complex scene with say 10 million polygons. And I notice some setting is set wrongly, so I correct it to my liking and click on save settings. Now when I reopen blender, it loads that same 10 million polygon and takes a long time to open. So why cant the settings ALONE be saved? and a separate option be made for default file...

Plus (and this is really really important) sometimes, when you want to change or save user preferences, you go to File>>User Preferences or File>>Save User Settings, but on the way, you accidentally click on "Load factory settings" which is right next to the "User Preferences" and "Save user settings" option and you go "FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU" cuz u have set differnt hotkeys and all...

So it would be a good idea to relocate both the "load factory settings" and "save user settings" option to a better place, like maybe inside the "user preferences" window so such accidents don't keep happening all the time. and remove them from the "file" menu.

stiv

Postby stiv » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:17 am

The next release separates user prefs and the default scene.

The usual cause for Blender crashing is running out of memory while rendering. There is a limit to what a 32 bit system can access.

zedeneye1

Postby zedeneye1 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:40 am

stiv wrote:The next release separates user prefs and the default scene.

The usual cause for Blender crashing is running out of memory while rendering. There is a limit to what a 32 bit system can access.

didn't get it...

does it crash cuz its not a 64 bit program or does it only crash when u dont run it on a 64-bit OS...?

brasshat

Postby brasshat » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:42 am

It's probably a memory issue; the render requires more memory than would be available on a 32 bit system, but not so much that it would overload a 64 bit one.

ns

stiv

Postby stiv » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:53 am

32 bits lets you access about 4 gigabytes of memory (roughly speaking. Your operating system takes 1 or 2, leaving you with 2 or 3 gig for whatever you are doing. To render an image, you need about 20 bytes/pixel + memory for all the objects and textures and whatnot.

Add in the fact that memory allocations are done as contiguous blocks (malloc fails if it cannot get a single large chunk) and it is easy to blow out 3 gigs. There is a reason the Blender movies were rendered on 64 bit systems.

Return to “Interface & Tools”