TextWindow problem & feature request

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

diz

TextWindow problem & feature request

Postby diz » Mon Jan 06, 2003 7:08 pm

Hello,

I just began with some python scripting, but there is a very annoying problem: I cannot write any special characters (such as #[]{}, etc) - I use a CH-fr keyboard.

The only solution is to edit the script outside of blender. But if I do so, I have to reload each script inside Blender after every modification.

Another reason why I'd like to work with another text editor than the one integrated in blender is that I think that there are a few basic features missing for a python opimized text editor:
  1. Write the line number for each line on the left of the text window (because it is slow to always type ALT-J + SHIFT-LMB + SHIFT-BKSPACE + [line number] + ENTER to know what line of the script contains the bug)
  2. Allow multiple line indentation and unindentation by selecting the multiple lines that have to be inented and pressing TAB (or SHIFT-TAB to unindent)

Gabriel

phase

Postby phase » Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:53 pm

Cool suggestions ! I promise i'll take a look at it.

I think what this board needs right now, is a special forum for
usefull (or unusefull but inspiring) requests, so developers
can see what features ppl like to see in Blender.

Keep ya posted !

Rob

Jamesk

Postby Jamesk » Wed Jan 15, 2003 6:30 pm

Yup, that would be extremely helpful. I've got that special characters problem too. That reloading business is quite annoying, for sure...

phase

Postby phase » Fri Jan 17, 2003 9:20 am

I just added the drawing of linenumbers feature to the experimental Tuhopuu tree,
and took the liberty to add windows style ctrl keystrokes for cut/copy/paste/undo/redo.
Also the indenting of tabs works (but only once, that'll be fixed later :) )

Haven't looked into the special characters problem yet because i don't own a CH-fr keyboard.

Rob

diz

Postby diz » Wed Feb 12, 2003 12:11 am

phase wrote:I just added the drawing of linenumbers feature to the experimental Tuhopuu tree,
and took the liberty to add windows style ctrl keystrokes for cut/copy/paste/undo/redo.

I just tried your new features in the new release, and it's really great!! Thank you so much, it's just too cool when the suggestions are implemented so quickly (you effectiely did it in 10 days + one month for the new release to officialy come out). :D

The CTRL shortcuts are also nice, it's cool not to have to change this habit, each time I work in blender. :P

phase wrote:Also the indenting of tabs works (but only once, that'll be fixed later :) )

I'm not able to make the TAB work on a mulitiline selection and SHIFT+TAB isn't working at all (yet?) ;)

phase wrote:Haven't looked into the special characters problem yet because i don't own a CH-fr keyboard.

Ok, that's a problem for me, it isn't useable as is... I see 4 possibilities:
- I change my keyboard mapping, change my habits, and I live happily... But that's not the case for several other poor little python users. (I tested, the special character work with the same configuration but the US keyboard mapping)
- I wait for another bold programmer that owns a non-working keyboard to implement it.
- You try the CH-fr keymapping on your keyboard, I send you a picture of what it is looking (to be able to find the non-working keys), and you try to implement it.
- I send you a CH-fr keyboard by mail, you try to solve the problem, and everybody lives happily forever. If you tell me where you live, I can ask the post delivery how much the sending would cost. If the price is reasonable, this is doable.

What do you think? Oh yes, and I didn't say yet what OS I'm using: Win2K and the keyboard mapping is called "French (Switzerland)".

Thanks again, and happy blending/coding!

Gabriel

Return to “Interface & Tools”