Modeling tool request: a chisel

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Modeling tool request: a chisel

Postby alt » Fri Feb 14, 2003 2:09 pm

I would like to have a mesh editing tool like real world chisel.

This tool would be a sphere, a cube or maybe any other mesh with adjustable size and strenght which user would move in 3d to edit a mesh.
Depending on it's size and strenght it would add or remove geometry of edited mesh.

This tool would allow a sculpting-like workflow: user could start from a simple cube, cut pieces from it, add detail here and there and go all the way to a detailed model.

Postby SirDude » Fri Feb 14, 2003 4:59 pm

Hi Alt,

Have you tried PET?
If not create a cube subdivide it about 6 times.
Then you see the button that appears when you enter edit mode?
It looks like a grid Just to the right of the editmode button its shortcut is O(the letter).
You then select verts and when you move them it will move the
other verts close to it. Allowing you to pull and push at the object
to deform it. You can also adjust the area of effect with the numpad
+ and - keys.

Not exactly the same but its similar.

Postby alt » Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:36 pm

Proportional mesh editing is okay when doing soft surfaces with high poly count. Like organic looking surfaces. (Unite against organic modeling!) I'm looking a tool for creating sharp edges and detail with minimum polygon count: it would only add detail where it could actually be seen.

Maybe PET with a very sharp falloff near the edge would do. But it doesn't seem to be adjustable enough. How about adding editable falloff curve to it?

I guess that this kind of tool is not anybody else's interest. But just think what could be done with it! ..well ;)

Postby Jamesk » Thu Feb 27, 2003 11:24 am

I guess you mean something like Amorphium? Though it's an interesting concept, I found it very hard to get in control... And to get the desired result you'll need quite a load of subdivisions. BUT, if a chisel tool would dynamically increase the level of subdivision as it passed through a particular area, that would be an incredibly useful tool. That's pretty much cutting edge, though (no pun intended) and would require some seriously devoted research. It would also be a bit messy internally as long as the Blender mesh structure doesn't support n-gons. But great it would be!

Postby BloB » Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:48 pm

That would be a nice tool indeed but it seems more suited to solid/voxel-modelling that mesh-editing.

Postby dgebel » Mon Mar 17, 2003 8:03 pm

This would be a great tool, but as mentioned, probably hard to do.

Its similar to what is usually called a KNIFE in other packages. Its also quite similar to Boolean operations of course.

Maybe a modified version of the "subdivide" command could be created?
Ideally, if you stuck a plane through the middle of a cube, you'd get two flat bricks. But if you could even put a plane through a face, it would help speed up many situations. Rather than subdividing and then yanking points around (unreliably!), draw a plane and cut it where you need it. Or a path would be cool too! It would be coming really close to something else that would be good too - fitting an object or path onto other's surface.

Ideally again, a RELIABLE working Boolean function would be a usable solution: just Boolean a very thin brick object through the cube. Adding solid geometry to Blender would be cool for creating objects with interiors.

Postby dgebel » Mon Mar 17, 2003 8:25 pm

Doh! Forgot about the Knife script at
I've never had much luck getting scripts to work unfortunately.

Postby alt » Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:15 pm

Jamesk wrote:I guess you mean something like Amorphium? ... snap... But great it would be!

Sorry for the long delay.
On a course I learned that Maya has roughly this kind of tool called 'artisan'.
What it does is that is pushes, pulls or smooths NURBS surfaces according to it's normals. So it can be used to refine a surface in somewhat natural way.

In practise it is a circle moving on an object's surface with variable size and power. And It even supports art pads so people can actually sculpt in 3d..sweet.

I have only used it for NURBS - I don't know if this tool exists for meshes.

Well, that said, I guess Blender's 'chisel' would be better of course ;)

Return to “Interface & Tools”