BC2006 - Which sessions to tape?

Discuss and propose activities, arrange carpools, share hotel rooms, arrange dormitories...

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

filipp

Postby filipp » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:55 am

joeri wrote:The small sessions are horrid to tape. It's a round room. I skipped all of thoose sessions. One could see them as a challenge :) The talks there are interesting though, mostly about future development.

I guess that's why there don't seem to be even any pictures of sessions in that room. Is it really small? The problem is, there are sessions there that people would be much more interested to see:
http://growingontrees.com/bc2006/results.php?sid=28
http://growingontrees.com/bc2006/results.php?sid=29
http://growingontrees.com/bc2006/results.php?sid=30

Luckily, there' also one perso who said he's taping the Room 2 stuff, so I'm trying to coordinate that with him.

joeri

Postby joeri » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:42 am

http://primates.ximian.com/~jimmac/phot ... ow_thumbs=
There ya go! All nice picture and guess where the noisy one is made? right!

[ Thanks to Jakub Steiner, nice photos ]
That's me asking a question (nice lamp!)

joeri

Postby joeri » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:45 am

Should I bring a handycam and pc to grab dv right after it's taped?

Maybe you can still arange with angela 2 machines to grab dv, I can bring handycam(s) to do the playback...

filipp

Postby filipp » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:12 pm

Ah, thanks for the pics!
joeri wrote:Should I bring a handycam and pc to grab dv right after it's taped?

I was kind of hoping we wouldn't have to do any capturing in the main hall at all. Unfortunately I don't know all the details of the facilities. There's a chance that only the projector and sound can be recorded to HD (and streamed) in which case it would ofcourse be fantastic to have all the camera material also captured by the end of the day.

Would it be too much trouble for You?

I can only bring one external 250 GB drive which will be used for storing the screengrabs.

joeri

Postby joeri » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:26 am

My experience is that one camera for taping and one for grabbing is not enough... maybe that was because I was doing it all alone.

As you say it goes one on one (why is this still realtime? firewire can be 2x speed right?) But even if not all is grabbed then it still would be a big advantage to have large parts grabbed I think.

Last year there was no HD-Recorder, are you bringing one or did Angela arange one for you?

btw. I'll be at the conference the friday and the saturday.
I will bring a dvcam and a computer for grabbing. Can the BF provide you with an extra external HD? If not I can bring one, but that does not help you much. Unless maybe we downgrade fps and burn dvd-roms of that footage.

filipp

Postby filipp » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:42 pm

joeri wrote:My experience is that one camera for taping and one for grabbing is not enough... maybe that was because I was doing it all alone.

I just discussed this with Marco and it does seem that everything should be fine in the main hall. All the video and audio will be mixed and cut together and then just compressed overnight.

joeri wrote:As you say it goes one on one (why is this still realtime? firewire can be 2x speed right?) But even if not all is grabbed then it still would be a big advantage to have large parts grabbed I think.

Yeah, I think there is capturing software that *can* capture faster, but I use Final Cut Pro which can't.

joeri wrote:Last year there was no HD-Recorder, are you bringing one or did Angela arange one for you?

The recording/mixing is done by De Waag (they way I understood it) but the HDD for the actual media is mine.

joeri wrote:btw. I'll be at the conference the friday and the saturday.
I will bring a dvcam and a computer for grabbing. Can the BF provide you with an extra external HD? If not I can bring one, but that does not help you much. Unless maybe we downgrade fps and burn dvd-roms of that footage.

Since it seems that we have a "tapeless" workflow covered for the main hall, all we have to do is support Jef, who's taping the second floor, to get his stuff off the tapes. This should work with just one machine and cam. I'll have another (~100 GB) FW/USB drive for this purpose (there's about 6 h/day of material in the second room).

zoogie

Postby zoogie » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:51 pm

Excellent job Fillip,
and everyone else who contributed to make these great videos,
Have seen all the ones released so far and they are great quality , excellent sound too.

cheers

Zoogie

filipp

Postby filipp » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:29 pm

Thank you, zoogie.
I'll be putting the second room stuff online ASAP. If anyone's interested, there's a short commentary on the production on my blog: http://filipp.name

rcas

Postby rcas » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:13 pm

Hey Fillip, nice work you did on the videos.

By the way, how are things going with the tower room sessions ? Have you been able to get something out of it ?

-- Rui --
How to use a Blender:
Put your model, rig, animation and textures in the Blender, turn the Blender on and wait for it to Render, then turn the Blender off and show it to your friends.

filipp

Postby filipp » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:39 pm

rcas, thank you! The tower room stuff's been uploaded already but there's just one session (your head modelling workshop btw) that must be captured from tape. Marco thought id best to first get that uploaded as well and _then_ post the links on the Blender site.

In other words, it'll take some time. Will notify as soon as everything's up.

rcas

Postby rcas » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:39 pm

filipp wrote:rcas, thank you! The tower room stuff's been uploaded already but there's just one session (your head modelling workshop btw) that must be captured from tape. Marco thought id best to first get that uploaded as well and _then_ post the links on the Blender site.

In other words, it'll take some time. Will notify as soon as everything's up.

I really don't see the need to wait, my session was crap, so it won't get that many people downloading it and the other really good sessions really have people interested specially the ones on Nodes, Compositing and Lighting.

But then again, its you guys working, so i won't mess with your decisions ...

-- Rui --

PS: I just hope you can be there next year and even improve the videos more, even though these ones are awesome. I think no one can complain this year.
PS2: One more thing, next year, why not have a wireless mic strap like the one in the tower room for the main room too. And even more, why not have a mic on top of the audience (me appointing too much trouble to you ....).
How to use a Blender:

Put your model, rig, animation and textures in the Blender, turn the Blender on and wait for it to Render, then turn the Blender off and show it to your friends.

filipp

Postby filipp » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:14 pm

Marco said he'll put the links on the Blender site ASAP. In the meantime, you can download the Tower Room sessions from here:
http://growingontrees.com/bc2006/tower_room/

Thanks once more for all your great comments! This was a really fun project and (now that I've regained my strength) I can't wait for next year.

Return to “Blender Conference 2013”