- Cycles: Better Subsurface Scattering, GPU support for Smoke/Fire and Point Density.
- Grease pencil stroke sculpting and improved workflow.
- OpenVDB caching for smoke/volumetric simulations.
- Reworked library handling to manage missing and deleted datablocks.
- Redesigned progress bar.
- Edit mode boolean tool, better decimate modifier.
- Improved extruding and weight painting tools for sculpting/painting.
- Support for Windows XP and the SCons build system was removed.
- Blender now requires OpenGL 2.1 minimum
- And: 100s of bug fixes and other improvements!
- Improved Subsurface Scattering, and faster SSS on GPUs.
- Smoke/Fire and Point Density support on GPU.
- Customizable motion blur position, support for rolling shutter.
- Custom baking passes.
- Performance optimizations for large node shaders.
- Improved default settings.
- Progress bars got a complete design overhaul.
- Support for multi-line text in tooltips, render stamps, frame nodes and meta data display.
- Better anti-aliasing for OpenGL renders.
- And more!
- Decimate modifier is now symmetry aware.
- New Edit-mode boolean tool, useful to quickly perform edits
- Selection tools got several improvements: face stepping option, checker select, next/previous, multiple axis mirror.
- Option to get a default UV-unwrapping of new geometry added.
- Other small improvements: triangulate & poke, grid-fill non uniform grids, hole support for intersect tool, split-by-edges tool
Strip Modifiers: added white balance and tone map strip modifier, it is now possible to append strip’s modifiers to all selected ones
Effects: speedup of Gaussian Blur effect
- Importing new movie strips now uses movieclip framerate
- Masks now can be both relative to strip and absolute to scene time
- Nested scene strip support, word wrapped sequencer text
- OpenGL previews Scene strips now respect the “Alpha Mode”
Improvements to snake-hook to drag out long extruded segments, and rotate the snake-hook brush using the new rake option.
- Better Auto-Normalize behaviour
- Better Multi-Paint behaviour
Vertex Painting: Orbit last stroke support
Constraints: added new method to interpolate based on “Polar decomposition”.
Graph Editor: “Cursor X” property now allows fractional values when working with Drivers, added options to insert keyframes at the cursor point
Dope Sheet: better frame range for new editor instances
Armatures: selection now supports selecting children, immediate children and siblings, added options to draw custom shape scale
Motion Paths: Clear Paths operator now acts on all objects/bones, Update Paths button is now shown in the toolbar too
- Stroke Sculpting
- A proper “Edit Mode” in the 3D View
- Recoded eraser with pressure sensitivity
- An operator to restrict editing to the active layer only (Isolate Layer)
- Transform Manipulator support
- Animation editing improvements including Copy/Paste and more advanced channel filtering
- … and many more UI tweaks
Datablocks & Libraries Management
- In case of missing libraries on load, empty placeholder datablocks get added, which allows to restore or relink.
- Missing libraries & linked datablocks are now shown in the Outliner with a small “broken lib” icon.
- Deleting Libraries: you can now ‘delete’ a whole library, with all its linked datablocks
Adding a Max Jumps value to the character physics
Screenshot Actuator: the new screenshot mode can be found in the game actuator.
Saving screenshot done in different thread (please read the compatibility issues).
New Add-on: Blend File Utils, supports packing blend files including all their libraries and dependencies into a self contained ZIP file
- OBJ IO: Added limited support for MTL texture mapping options
- X3D/VRML IO: Expanded to support a larger subset of the standard
- Python was upgraded to 3.5.1 which brings some improvements and changes for add-on and script writers.
- All API load() functions now have a check_existing argument that defaults to false
- New Module: gpu.offscreen, exposes the capability of handling offscreen drawing.
- Removed: GreasePencil.draw_mode, as a result of Grease Pencil changes.
OpenVDB caching: smoke/volumetric simulations can now be cached using OpenVDB as a back-end
Better threading handling: Blender is now massively multi-threaded
Compositing: new invert option to the 2D stabilization node, use mask name as mask node label, expose track velocity as an output of Track Position node, new option to extend image bounds when blurring
Image Editor: now allows visualizing individual R,G and B channels
Cubemap: world textures are now supported in the Blender Internal engine 3D viewport
Spotlights: now they can be scaled on one or several axis (Rectangle and ellipse shapes).
- Compositor Improvements
- Compositor 2D motion vector
- Grease Pencil Stroke Sculpting
- Grease Pencil Clone Brush
- Grease Pencil Additive Drawing
- Removed support for Windows XP.
- Blender now requires OpenGL 2.1 minimum
- Blender now uses Python 3.5.1.
- Removed the SCons build system.
- Removed redcode library in favor of using ffmpeg which now supports redcode.