n-gons

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

kroopson

n-gons

Post by kroopson » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:03 pm

Hi. I'm currently working on 3d visual effects for a movie (I mean true cinema production, not some fan-made stuff) and currently we're on a modelling stage. My job is to create a photorealistic high poly classroom with all the details. I was doing it in blender until I've noticed that my meshes became very, very messy without an n-gons, so I've had to change my app to Modo :( Is there any chance to see true n-gons implemented in Blender?

joeri

Post by joeri » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:05 pm

Just out of interest; why are the f-gons not good enough? Subdivision surfaces?

matt_e

Post by matt_e » Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:06 am

Not only the subsurf, but they're mostly useless because of the unwieldy limitations (eg. no interior vertices), but mainly because of the fact that they're almost completely un-integrated with the rest of blender's mesh editing tools, making it all the more obvious that they're just hiding stuff, and not a real mesh structure. Eg. try subdividing an edge of an f-gon.

To answer the original question, there have been a couple of developers who have expressed strong interest in upgrading Blender's mesh editing system to support n-gons among other things. The biggest hurdle though is time - the project's scope would be so huge and involve so much rewriting that it's very hard for a volunteer to be able to accomplish it, and unfortunately probably won't happen any time soon...

Azrael

Post by Azrael » Tue May 15, 2007 3:09 am

broken: let's hope your wrong, I think NGON's is the next stage in blender's development as an awesome modeler. Let's face it, once this hurdle is overcome blender will eventually have the best modeling tools. And I personally hope that day is soon. I want blender to be my "home" for everything I need it for. And NGONS is going to let me model faster and cleanup faster.

Let's hope it happens soon. I volunteer to test it. :-)

matt_e

Post by matt_e » Tue May 15, 2007 4:46 am

Well, luckily it may be happening sooner than I predicted! It's still a huge and long process, but work is already in progress: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/Bmesh

No telling when it will even come close to being done, but it's definitely a good start!

Azrael

Post by Azrael » Thu May 17, 2007 4:00 am

Anyone know where I can contact Briggs?

Briggs

Post by Briggs » Sun May 20, 2007 10:41 am

Well you can always talk to me right here ;) PM me if you have something to discuss.

Cheers,
Briggs

Koba

Post by Koba » Sun May 20, 2007 11:20 am

I'm no developer but I would still like to ask Briggs a few questions... ;-)

Firstly, ngons is a pretty Herculean project and one thing I've been wondering for years is what stance Ton has on this subject. As a hobbyist, ngons would be a nice feature to have but not something impossible to live without. However, "professionals" often request ngons and that requires some major coding, I get worried that if Blender's modelling tools expand on the current system, ngons will never get implemented! Hence, if it is to happen I hope that you are getting plenty of support from the Blender foundation, Briggs!

The videos there look hopeful - but it wouldn't be the first time that exciting videos are shown before a project fails. So I wish you the best of luck and the occasional status reports would be fantastic bonus!

Koba
Last edited by Koba on Sun May 20, 2007 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Caronte

Post by Caronte » Sun May 20, 2007 1:43 pm

Koba wrote:So I wish you the best of luck...
Me too! :wink:

Many Blender users are waiting for n-gons.
Caronte.
"Some Day, All Will Be Digital"
http://www.nicodigital.com

Briggs

Post by Briggs » Mon May 21, 2007 8:14 am

Koba,

Ton's stance on N-Gons I cannot say... you would have to ask him ;)

That video is actually very old, and the reason there havn't been more like is because the code was just a 'proof of concept' I wrote over a 2 week period in Janruary. A lot of work has been done since then though, so it hasn't been abandoned! There should be more stuff appearing soon...

Cheers
Briggs

Koba

Post by Koba » Mon May 21, 2007 12:16 pm

A lot of work has been done since then though
Good news!

Unfortunately, there is not much I can do other than try to encourage you (other people must feel the same way too). Pushing on with something as major as this is impressive to say the least and it will be a huge relief to all when this finally gets put onto SVN (all going well!).

Keep coding. Keep up the good work. We all hope you have something great to show for your efforts in the end.

Koba

Azrael

Briggs,

Post by Azrael » Wed May 30, 2007 4:44 am

Briggs: PM is disabled. Basically I wanted to help you test it. I am a good modeler, Image

http://www.seanjmacisaac.com/
(Sorry for hijacking this thread)