Oren-Nayar-Blinn material model Blender version.

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

tHe-IcemAn

Post by tHe-IcemAn »

[quote="cessen]
(WHY IS IT FIVE MEGABYTES?!?!?! THAT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE!!! AAAARRRRRRRGGGGG!!!!!)[/quote]

5 Megs?

Dude, the executable is 22 megs!! That's a lot to load into memory!

radix

Post by radix »

WHY IS IT FIVE MEGABYTES?!?!?! THAT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE!!! AAAARRRRRRRGGGGG!!!!!

Code: Select all

strip blender_blinn_dynamic
often helps. :) After it takes less than 7mb and compresses nicely like the official build. But, on the otherhand, if someone want's to debug it... well, two versions then! :)

cessen

Yay! It's in Tuhopuu!

Post by cessen »

Update:

My modification has kindly been incorperated into the tuhopuu source tree (many thanks to green and sgefant!). So, if anyone wishes to compile it for windows, just download the latest tuhopuu CVS tree.
If someone does compile it for windows, please upload it somewhere and post the link. Thanks!
Maybe you should disable the generation of debug code? =)
Oh. Of course! I feel stupid now...
I just used

Code: Select all

strip --strip-debug
and it gets taken down to a little over 7MB. I'll upload it sometime today (with the latest tuhopuu code, of course).

Jamesk

Re: Yay! It's in Tuhopuu!

Post by Jamesk »

cessen wrote:
Maybe you should disable the generation of debug code? =)
Oh. Of course! I feel stupid now...
Don't feel stupid... I mean, I can't even compile any of this... The first time I used DevC++ about a week ago I couldn't even compile the supplied HelloWorld project... :lol:

Sounds like you're progressing smoothly. Looking forward to try a windows binary soon if someone feels compelled to make one.
(hey, someone, h'where art thou?)

cessen

Post by cessen »

Update:

I have downloaded the latest tuhopuu code, and have compiled it (since my modification has been incorperated into it, I didn't have to do anything else :) ).

The link is the same as always:
http://www.brunslo.com/cessen/blender_s ... mic.tar.gz
It is only 2.7MB now (unzipped 7.8MB): I stripped the binary of debugging symbols.

Again, it would be *extremely* helpful if someone would compile tuhopuu for windows (and/or other OS's aside from Linux) and post a download-link to it. The file should be zipped, of course.

You can look forward to more updates within the next two weeks or so: I will be cleaning up the material code, and I will be structuring it to be more modular (in preparation for a plugin system). So most of the updates will not change anything from a user perspective.
You can, however, look forward to some not-insignificant functionality enhancements in the Toon shader.

Thanks for everyone's feedback about the new material system (both positive and negative). And please, keep it coming! If you don't tell me what you think about it, I don't have any way of deciding what to change/add/keep/throw-away other than my own preferences. :)

adrian

running on mandrake 9

Post by adrian »

Hi,
I'm trying to run the above blender blin version on mandrake 9.
I get the error message can't find "libvorbisfile.so.0.",
yet I have installed the vorbis supplied with mdk9.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

cheers.

mavos

Re: running on mandrake 9

Post by mavos »

adrian wrote: I get the error message can't find "libvorbisfile.so.0.",
A quick "fix" would be making a link from /usr/lib/libvorbisfile.so.3 to /usr/local/lib/libvorbisfile.so.0 and running "ldconfig".

At least it works for me.

sten

Re: running on mandrake 9

Post by sten »

mavos wrote:
adrian wrote: I get the error message can't find "libvorbisfile.so.0.",
A quick "fix" would be making a link from /usr/lib/libvorbisfile.so.3 to /usr/local/lib/libvorbisfile.so.0 and running "ldconfig".

At least it works for me.
maybe you could please tell us HOW-TO do it? ;)

I am using RH8, kind of half-newbie to Linux and still learning,
and I have the same errors and also that driver installed,
but I dont know how to make links...

Riskbreaker

Post by Riskbreaker »

Has anyone compiled a Win version yet?
I feel like Im missing out on something good.

Jellybean

Post by Jellybean »

ztonzy wrote: maybe you could please tell us HOW-TO do it? :wink:
Do this as root:

cd /usr/lib
ln -s libvorbisfile.so.3 libvorbisfile.so.0

matt_e

Post by matt_e »

I've compiled a Windows tuhopuu build from 2003-03-08, which contains Cessen's modifications:
http://hotlink.reblended.com/broken/tuh ... indows.zip

and fmod.dll if you need it:
http://hotlink.reblended.com/broken/tuhopuu/fmod.zip

sten

Post by sten »

Jellybean wrote:
ztonzy wrote: maybe you could please tell us HOW-TO do it? :wink:
Do this as root:

cd /usr/lib
ln -s libvorbisfile.so.3 libvorbisfile.so.0
thanks !! it worked !!

Jamesk

Post by Jamesk »

The win-tuhopuu crashes instantly if one tries to execute a python script. Is this correct, ie something you knew about? Otherwise it seems to run fine.
(the script in question was Yable, but the crash was so immediate that I assume it's the python engine itself rather than the script causing this)

matt_e

Post by matt_e »

Ah, yes. Python-freeze wouldn't compile for me, so I disabled it. The purpose of making the build was to allow people to see and experiment with Cessen's work. If you want something production-ready, use a stable release like 2.26 or wait until all the changes have been properly integrated, bugs ironed out etc. for the next release.
Jamesk wrote:The win-tuhopuu crashes instantly if one tries to execute a python script. Is this correct, ie something you knew about? Otherwise it seems to run fine.
(the script in question was Yable, but the crash was so immediate that I assume it's the python engine itself rather than the script causing this)

Jamesk

Post by Jamesk »

broken wrote:Ah, yes. Python-freeze wouldn't compile for me, so I disabled it.
I guessed it was something like that. I just wanted to report it in the unlikely event it was actually an unknown problem. Since tuhopuu is quite linux-oriented, I figured maybe win binaries had not been extensively tested.

Good to know it's not my system playing tricks on me...