verse 2.0 finaly out.

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

eskil

Post by eskil »

Ok, I have been very busy with non coding stuff. (metroid prime, party's and demonstrations..)

But I have now written the most part of a new verse server!
It has a lot of bugs and i haven't tested it but I will start working on that.

Go grab it at: http://www.quelsolaar.com/technology/verse.html

Cheers

E

Stop the war!

eskil

Post by eskil »

Hi

I have spent the last few days actually testing the released code.... and just about nothing works (well it does now...) Im going to release an new version soon and then I will have ported connector too. Im going to set up a large todo list so that it will be easier to track what is going on too.

On a note on the Aprils fools day, I just have to give away my favorite joke:

In stockholm where I live you used to be able to purchase one month tickets for the subway. so every 1st of the month every one had to buy a new ticket. So my favorite joke every 1st of April was to walk up to the ticket booth and show last months ticket. Obviously the person checking the tickets would say: "sorry that's last mounts ticket you need to buy a new one". And I would reply: "you are not fooling me, I know its the first of april" and walk threw.

how to confuse people 101.

E

Stop the war

Money_YaY!

Post by Money_YaY! »

:D cute , It's fun to play with minds. ^o^

xype

Post by xype »

eskil wrote:how to confuse people 101.

evil!

eskil

Post by eskil »

Proggraming question:

Does any one know how to set a float/double value to infinit?
I want to be able to set and compare flats set to infinit.

Any one know?

E

Jellybean

Post by Jellybean »

Code: Select all

float a, b;
double c, d;

*((long *) &a) = 0x7f800000;  // set a to INF
*((long *) &b) = 0xff800000;  // set b to -INF

*((long long *) &c) = 0x7ff0000000000000;  // set c to INF
*((long long *) &d) = 0xfff0000000000000;  // set d to -INF
I really don't know it this is the best (or easiest to read) way to do this. You could also create a union of a float and long, and set the value that way. Please note this is not a platform agnostic method of doing it (little/big endian issues).

On a different note, after a few typo fixes I was able to succesfully build the server (x86 Linux). :D However, I don't know if it works correctly, as I have nothing yet for it to do. :P I'll try building verse and server on a couple different platforms (spark, solaris and mips(PS2), linux) also.

I have a question about the code... but it is late (very late) so I will ask tomorrow.

eskil

Post by eskil »

Thanks!

If you actual are working on the code I will try to give you a new release later tonight.

E

Vargol

Post by Vargol »

eskil wrote:Proggraming question:

Does any one know how to set a float/double value to infinit?
I want to be able to set and compare flats set to infinit.

Any one know?

E
According to C89 and C99 the float value
INFINITY is supposed to be defined in <math.h>

It is there in OSX and indirectly in the copy
of mandrake I use in Virtual PC (its actually it bits/mathdef.h
which gets included in math.h).

Dave

Jellybean

Post by Jellybean »

Vargol wrote:According to C89 and C99 the float value
INFINITY is supposed to be defined in <math.h>
:?: :!: Really? I'll have to look again this evening. I thought there should be something of the sort, but could find nothing meaningful to that effect yesterday. I cannot find it defined under Solaris right now either :( (I'm at work).

eskil,
I've built verse and server on Spark Solaris, but v_test doesn't seem to work. When I run it, all I get is:

callback_send_connect Q h 127.0.0.1:60158
callback_send_connect Q h 127.0.0.1:60158

then it sits there doing nothing for a while and exits. :( I don't have debugging tools here (at work), so I can't figure out what's wrong. I tried adding printf statements, but they aren't printing. :shock:

BTW, it's spelled accept. :wink:

eskil

Post by eskil »

Well one of to major bugs found is the actual send and receive code. The send queue is broken. I have fond some other bugs too... I also have problems with doubles. I think the problem you see is a queue problem.

Networking is not the greatest thing to debug...

I just uploaded a new version to www.quelsolaar.com/technology/verse2source.zip

I hope when can end all this porting stuff soon and get on with NGB. Once this stuff works I hope We can start inviting more developers to do their own modules. But its 146 files, over a meg of source, so many things can go wrong.....

Thanks for the INFINITY help!

E

Jellybean

Post by Jellybean »

IT'S ALIVE!

Oooo. Look and the pretty color. :)

Great work, Eskil!

Unfortunatly, it crashes if I try to connect to local host (both when the verse server is running and not. :( I'll see if I can figure out why.

eskil

Post by eskil »

Wow that's so cool!

My port doesn't crash that early (later on it does....) I will try to fix some more stuff tonight.

E

Money_YaY!

Post by Money_YaY! »

Oh please hurry. Find some body after your done recleaning, to port
it to OSX I miss the pretty colors your apps create.

Just random stuff is so cool. Colors and all .
fish
^v^ :twisted:

eskil

Post by eskil »

Yepp

I know there are many problems. It really does help to get some more people playing around with verse. Im currently updating stuff in verse, I wants some proper logout, and im also going to fix a printf define that prints out all the in/out coming commands that will help debugging a lot. My may concern with connector right now is to add some launching capabilities, so that the connector software can launch other apps, then it will be easier to fit in other people work.

(I miss doing funky IU too...)

E

xype

Post by xype »

eskil wrote:My may concern with connector right now is to add some launching capabilities, so that the connector software can launch other apps, then it will be easier to fit in other people work.

I think on OSX one can call command line calls from within the Application, I'll look into that. Once it gets "stable" (that means, Eskil is happy with it) I can help with OSX builds - I just don't have the time to experiment too much with it atm :(