verse 2.0 finaly out.

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Money_YaY!

Post by Money_YaY! »

xype wrote:
eskil wrote:My may concern with connector right now is to add some launching capabilities, so that the connector software can launch other apps, then it will be easier to fit in other people work.

I think on OSX one can call command line calls from within the Application, I'll look into that. Once it gets "stable" (that means, Eskil is happy with it) I can help with OSX builds - I just don't have the time to experiment too much with it atm :(
Cool xype. I will test drive this thing into the ground if it ever ported.

^v^
color

eskil

Post by eskil »

Ok

New version is uploaded the big new thing is that you can now read all the in and out coming commands (this can be turned of by commenting out the defines in vll.h)

I also have just one node subscribe command instead of one for each node type. (that was kind of silly) I have also added three new Tag types.

I have also added a new function called: vll_use_unified_callbacks(void); with this turned on you don't need to set all callbacks for each connection (a feature rarely used...)

I hope to add some more stuff soon.

Cant you just use system() to launch other apps?

E

Oso

Post by Oso »

Excellent! Now if I can manage to get it to build, I'll be able to test on RedHat 7.2;8.0; and 9.0 as well as SuSE 8.1.

Eskil, if you want, I can proably provide some Makefiles and packages for binaries (Linux RPMs, etc.) for those releases.

Jellybean

Post by Jellybean »

Here's the contents of vs_node_curve.c

Code: Select all

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META NAME="GENERATOR" Content="Microsoft Developer Studio">
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<TITLE>Document Title</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<!-- Insert HTML here -->

</BODY>
</HTML>
Oops!

Jellybean

Post by Jellybean »

:) The server seems to work (without vs_node_curve.c :P ). I tested it using the v_test.c program. They connect, v_test sends some vll_send_g_vertex_set_real64_xyz, which the server receives with no problems. I did notice that the server consumes all available cpu time, but not forcefully (other apps are still responsive, no visible slowdown). This is on Spark Solaris, BTW. I don't have OpenGL on this workstation, so no connector. I'll try that when I get home.

v_initialize.c : Is this file needed? It seems to contain two function prototypes, but they don't end with a ';'. The functions are defined in v_cmd_buf.c and v_connection.c, and the build seems to work fine without this source file.

v_network.c : On both Linux and Solaris 'boolean' isn't defined, so I need to uncomment line 35 typedef int boolean;.

Excluding v_initialize.c and vs_node_curve.c and uncommenting line 35 of v_network.c are the only changes I need to make to get verse and the server to build. Lot's of warnings, though.

eskil

Post by eskil »

ok if you run all "v" files and v_test. you can test just verse. (it actual connects to it self)

If you add in all the "vs" you get the server and all the others you get the connector.

There are some problems with vll_send_g_vertex_set_real64_xyz because
the double packing doesn't really work...

I know about the boolean, In the vll.h it is defined as a char....

V_initialize.c is not needed, (i seems to have a problem with posting old / unused files...).

I know there are many warnings, But we can get them later...

I hope we can add some system calls. I would really like if we can get some more people to start looking at verse soon. I would like to post some demo code so that others can start playing with it.

E

eskil

Post by eskil »

Sorry for the delay, I have spent a lot of time writing, Im applying for some EU money and the dead line is the 24th.. When I do code I spend my time cleaning up the seduce code.

E

xype

Post by xype »

eskil wrote:Sorry for the delay,

As long as you're alive it's ok - it's a volunteer project :)

eskil

Post by eskil »

it's a volunteer project
It may not be for long, If we get the money we are applying for we will be able to hire me and probably one more person dedicated to just the Next Gen Blender effort.

E

Money_YaY!

Post by Money_YaY! »

eskil wrote:
it's a volunteer project
It may not be for long, If we get the money we are applying for we will be able to hire me and probably one more person dedicated to just the Next Gen Blender effort.

E
Coool ^v^

xype

Post by xype »

eskil wrote:It may not be for long, If we get the money we are applying for we will be able to hire me and probably one more person dedicated to just the Next Gen Blender effort.

Cool - that would be of course great! :D Good luck with the application then!

eskil

Post by eskil »

Question:

Does any one know if there is a good way to execute an app form another app?

System() works fine, but the calling app will freeze until the called app is killed. Then there is execve() but it kills the original process (and i don't get it to work on win, (maybe just me...)) so then you have to use fork().

I have a hard time thinking this is the nicest way to do this does nay one know? (Yeah im back to coding, new version coming soon)

E

xype

Post by xype »

Could the freezing of the calling app be worked around by having the caller function starting a new thread for the system() call function/object?

djfuego

What is Verse?!

Post by djfuego »

gargola wrote:did i miss something? what the heck is verse? :?:
Oh my!.. He doesn't know!....*snigger* :lol:
Bwahahahahahahahaaaaaa..Sorry

Verse is like the most futuristic modeller Ive ever seen.
It's like something off the Matrix.
The interface is like something from startrek.
It's so groovy My jaw was on the floor the whole demonstration.

http://www.blender.org/modules/bc2002/video/eskil1.mov
http://www.blender.org/modules/bc2002/video/eskil2.mov

It's awesome.
And it can't save.. but it's well worth a butchers.

Money_YaY!

Post by Money_YaY! »

woa , how large are those movies ?
Please make them smaller compresed.
I tend to use www.3ivx.com
it's free and makes a really nice small movie. A bit blurry but still good.

^v^