Blender OSX-Intel, Python 2.5

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Jens

Blender OSX-Intel, Python 2.5

Post by Jens » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:22 pm

Hi
I just wanted to let you know, im testing an CVS-build with
new particels and python 2.5 dependency now.( from graphicall).

I experienced an around 20% speedboost in nearly all prozesses
when using Py 2.5 instead of the defaullt 2.3 Py.
I´ve encountered no further troube/incompatibilities so far.

For testing i´ve Py 2.3.5 , 2.4.4 and 2.5 all installed on the same system,
this should be no problem, the versions friendly coexist.
Blender is using simply the Py-version wich it is build with.

I like to add that i would be glad to help you with testing if you like me
to, especially in the OSXi386-world.( Ton ? ) You can contact me under the profiled mail-adress.

Greetz from Hamburg ... Jens

stiv

Post by stiv » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:29 pm

We would love to get everyone moved up to Python 2.5 - the current production version. Support for Py 2.3 is becoming a PITA.

The biggest sticking point seems to be OSX where, unlike other platforms, Blender will not run without a Python install and it is considered too difficult a task for the OSXers to install/upgrade.

Question: are you installing Python from source or using the installer from python.org?

Jens

Post by Jens » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:44 pm

Hi stiv

I used the packages from Python.org to install
Py 2.4.4 and Py 2.5. ( Installer )
This was a supersimple prozess.
I don´t know why someone should have a problem with this.

Just download, mount .dmg, open installer, type passwd...., as
simple as every sw-install. I suppose someone who can´t manage
this is not able to use blender aniway :shock: :? :lol:

Greetz...Jens

eeteekay

Post by eeteekay » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:16 pm

Hello!

I'm new here, I had an odd problem that this very post help me solve, but also revealed a bit of a problem in the whole download/install procedure-at least on OSX.

I'm a fairly knowledgable user. I have used just about every 3D package on the Mac going back to Strata. I downloaded Blender because it's reputation is growing, and I thought I'd give it a try.

I teach, so I downloaded it for a machine in our lab at school. Worked no problem. I downloaded it for my laptop (intel Powerbook) worked no problem. I get home and download it on my dual core G5 with 4.5 gb of RAM. PROBLEM. Double-click on the app. Nothing. No error. No nothing. Spend two days trying to figure this out. No program, including games has ever done this. I've had programs crash on startup, but I don't think I've ever had one not do anything.

So I browse this board and find my way to this very post. Where for the FIRST time, I find out that I might need to download Python. I even type "python" in the terminal app and find out I have it installed, but it is 2.3.5! Ah Ha! So I d'l 2.4 and 2.5 and Blender starts right up! This problem is solved! Thank you!

But if there had been some note in the install documents about installing Python and where to get it, this problem would never have occured. Instead, it appears that some think that
[quote]it is considered too difficult a task for the OSXers to install/upgrade[/quote]

With respect, please let me turn that statement around to ask if it is too difficult to let OSXers know that they might NEED to install/upgrade python. AFAICT it is no where in the release notes, the install package or anywhere on the website. And this is kind of important given that version incongruity causes the program to not even launch.

Anyway, I am really looking forward to learning this software! Thanks for what looks, at first glance, to be a magnificent piece of software!

Excelsior!
eeteekay

COG257

Post by COG257 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:46 pm

Jens wrote:Hi stiv

I used the packages from Python.org to install
Py 2.4.4 and Py 2.5. ( Installer )
This was a supersimple prozess.
I don´t know why someone should have a problem with this.

Just download, mount .dmg, open installer, type passwd...., as
simple as every sw-install. I suppose someone who can´t manage
this is not able to use blender aniway :shock: :? :lol:

Greetz...Jens

Same here no issues.... :D

stiv

Post by stiv » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:00 pm

Same here no issues
Glad to here it. Maybe next release we can make a break with the past!
With respect, please let me turn that statement around to ask if it is too difficult to let OSXers know that they might NEED to install/upgrade python. AFAICT it is no where in the release notes, the install package or anywhere on the website. And this is kind of important given that version incongruity causes the program to not even launch.
On the download page, in the notes just above the download links:
Check what version of python your using before you download. For example on OSX if your using the bundled python you want blender compiled with python2.3.
The links themselves mention what version of python is used.

MrMunkily

Post by MrMunkily » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:03 am

Why can't a minimal python (a la windows version) be bundled with the OS X bundle? Is there something fundamentally different about the way python works on OS X?

I think that py2app already does this.