compositor breakdown

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

christiankrupa

compositor breakdown

Post by christiankrupa »

Is it just me, or is everybody having the same level of problems with the compositor?

I am trying to combine a few render layers using z-combine and fades with a displace and no matter which way I string the noodle, it either crashes during edit time or almost certainly a few frames into animation render. This is a real pity as the compositor is producing 3d imagery of unprecedented beauty but without being able to render or string noodles freely the whole thing is a rather useless bag of tricks...

Is there some fundamental problem with the compositor, are the nodes badly programmed and are not freely compatible with each other or is it just that both my computers are bad? One is a core duo tablet pc and the other is a dual core athlon, both with two gigs of ram running xp tablet and xp pro respectively.

I love using blender, its freedom, interface and constant development excite and inspire me, but I'm fast coming to the conclusion that professional use is only for those with real technical support, something not a luxury to me. I am a freelance graphic artist and sometime filmmaker and fine artist who gets by producing pop promos, in-programme content for globally distributed BBC/PBS television, tour visuals and other such commercial projects. I have used blender professionally for four years now, mainly with after effects as the compositor, but was hoping to finally integrate the whole process with blender - even editing.

sorry if this little rant has dribbled on a bit, but does anybody have any answers or suggestions to solve my dilemna?

thanks

Christian Krupa

stiv

Post by stiv »

One answer is "Don't use features under development for production work."

Another even better answer is "File a bug report." This is how bugs in new features get fixed.

As an aside, questions that start "Is it just me or is everyone having problems with.." will get more user responses if asked over on the user forums.
http://blenderartists.org/forum/

christiankrupa

Post by christiankrupa »

Hi Stiv, thanks for your reply,

sorry if I sound frustrated but I am, I thought that features included in the releases were no longer under development and were considered safe to use,,,

I will look into filing bug reports as I would like to contribute more to the development of blender, I'm not sure of the exact procedure for doing so, but I understand it's importance...

Also, I did post exactly the same thing on Blenderartists...

cheers

Christian

stiv

Post by stiv »

Great! It is a fact of life that software has bugs and fresh new software has more bugs. We try to squish the known bugs before release, but some still hide.

One of the great advantages of the Open Source model is that our user community provides a Quality Assurance lab on a scale that no corporation can match. Assuming that users do their part and report bugs.

An essential part of any bug report is a .blend showing the problem.

Here is the Report a Bug link from the main Blender page:
http://www.blender.org/development/report-a-bug/

christiankrupa

Post by christiankrupa »

Hi stiv (and anyone else interested) ive posted a bug and some files on the bugtracker....

http://projects.blender.org/tracker/ind ... 9&atid=125

cheers

christian