New OPEN SOURCE STUDIO established

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

zzyxxstudio

New OPEN SOURCE STUDIO established

Post by zzyxxstudio » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:27 pm

This is the founder of zzyxx studio - an open source studio based in USA for the creation of major motion picture features.

I will be updating you of our efforts and have purchased a script for animation feature.

We will employ a small portion of staff for admi purpose. WE WILL ONLY USE BLENDER as a CORE ANIMATION SOFTWARE and other opensource software in support of that process.

We will also give a portion of each films earnings to Blender.org foundation to continue the development of the works.

We will enable blender animators to have ownership of the motion picture.

To find out more stay tuned :D

zzyxxstudios.com
ZZYXX Peace Out Free Bird

Koba

Post by Koba » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:40 am

I'm sure everyone here wishes you the best of luck with it.

A few more details would be nice though. :)

Koba

zzyxxstudio

Website has some info

Post by zzyxxstudio » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:33 am

We are just underway. The script was purchased for 400,000 and a few revisions are being done. The next step of reg. the script with the SWG is almost finished (after final edits).

The company is being registered. The program we are implementing includes the following - animators can work on the project get a % of the movie ownership.

This is a fully ANIMATOR based production, where the Animator works with teams that together produce the film and everyone shares ownership. The catch - well you work for free but have stock ownership in that production.
The animator also get 3 production shorts where they can produce animate and release short films with the characters in the release they originally worked on. Could you imagine owning 3 shorts of SHREK?

our site is up - but not very functional - we are goingto be looking for animators willing to work under this model. The film release is set for summer of 2008.

A portion of the profits go to blender from the studio - not from the animators profit.

zzyxxstudios.com
ZZYXX Peace Out Free Bird

joeri

Post by joeri » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:10 am

Who is doing the marketing? Without that 10% of nothing is still nothing.

And does the founder of zzyxx have a name?

BlackBoe

Post by BlackBoe » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:33 pm

Hey, before you go swanking around saying you're the world's first open source studio, http://www.plumiferos.com/ was here before you.

joeri

Post by joeri » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:22 pm

BlackBoe wrote:Hey, before you go swanking around saying you're the world's first open source studio, http://www.plumiferos.com/ was here before you.
"an open source studio based in USA" does not state first and world boe.

Briggs

Re: Website has some info

Post by Briggs » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:00 am

[quote="zzyxxstudio"] The catch - well you work for free but have stock ownership in that production.[/quote]

I must be misunderstanding something, because as far as I can tell, thats a pretty big 'catch'. How do you expect your animators to eat during the production of the film if they are not getting a pay-check? How do they pay their rent?

Joeri:

Their website intro states 'The worlds first open source studio'

Regards,
Briggs

joeri

Re: Website has some info

Post by joeri » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:04 am

Briggs wrote: Their website intro states 'The worlds first open source studio'
A yes now I see.

"These 3 open projects will be co-owned by the studio (20%) and the individual animator (80%) and the story must be approved by the studio before production begins. Could you image owning 3 shorts films of Shrek?"

I get to pay 20% to zzxxyyx of the movies I make with my own character that I created for free (no wait paid 95% to xxyzz to create)?
How is that going to work?

Howitzer

Post by Howitzer » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:07 pm

There is also Vancouver Graphics Animation Studio.

I wish you luck though. I love seeing studios use open source stuff.

joeri

Post by joeri » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:33 am

Howitzer wrote:I wish you luck though. I love seeing studios use open source stuff.
Yes opensource, not open (human re-)source.
Ofcourse it's everybodys own choice, but somehow I doubt that people who have the time (and money) to invest in a project like this do not have the means to start a project like this themselfs and thus own 100% of their own made shrek.

The Orange people did not get toghether for six months on their own pay.

Whitout a solid marketing plan on how the movie is going to be sold, and some solid insurance that it really is going to be sold I would not spend any of my time in giving away my ideas and effort to somebody to start owning 95% of it.
(insurance by proven history of good marketing or proven existence of influencial friends in the movie distribution industry)

If you must join, and have nothing else to do, then you should sign up a contract that xxyzz can own X% of all your work after they sold at least X * 1000 dvd copies or the movie being played at X*200 theaters and/or has pay you at least 10.000 dollar (depending on how much you actualy did for the movie).
First get paid, then waive the copyrights, not the other way around.