Blender 2.50 interface Sugestion

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

PacBlend

Blender 2.50 interface Sugestion

Post by PacBlend »

I have been using Blender for a little over a year now. The interface was daunting, or rather complicated, at first. But after having discovered as much as I have I can appreciate how someone who has been using this interface for perhaps ,the past five years, may not truly appreciate the frustrations involved in learning a new GUI when all they really want to do is just run the program. A new interface, a simplier interface, can be beneficial to the newbie. So lets have one. However, Not to upset the rest of us, who have become quite accustomed to the current interface. Perhaps we could have both interfaces to choose from. That way all the bases would be covered and everyone would be happy. Just an idea.':idea:'
Blender Rules:)

stiv

Post by stiv »

The obvious solution is to make Blender completely command line driven. That way there is no distinction between power-user and non-user interfaces. Added benefits are:
* no cluttered GUI - just a single command prompt
* all Blender features are scriptable.
* no switching back and forth from mouse to keyboard. Both hands stay on the keys!
* vision-impaired users can run Blender via a text-to-speech interface

Emacs-like key bindings are the logical choice for both extensibility and speed.

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing »

stiv wrote:Emacs-like key bindings are the logical choice for both extensibility and speed.
I'm pretty sure you meant vim bindings, but I'll forgive you.

/Nathan

PacBlend

Post by PacBlend »

stiv wrote:The obvious solution is to make Blender completely command line driven.

Stiv. you need a GUI to see what your doing!
stiv wrote:* no switching back and forth from mouse to keyboard. Both hands stay on the keys!
keep one hand on the mouse the other on the keyboard.
youll notice that the work flow is much faster that way.
stiv wrote:* vision-impaired users can run Blender via a text-to-speech interface
visually impaired people would'nt use Blender anyway.
its a grafics program.
Blender Rules:)

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum »

@PacBlend

You really need to learn the concept of sarcasm :roll:
There's no such thing as democracy. There's only the tyranny of one, and the tyranny of many.

joeri

Re: Blender 2.50 interface Sugestion

Post by joeri »

PacBlend wrote:I have been using Blender for a little over a year now. The interface was daunting, or rather complicated, at first. But after having discovered as much as I have I can appreciate how someone who has been using this interface for perhaps ,the past five years, may not truly appreciate the frustrations involved in learning a new GUI when all they really want to do is just run the program. A new interface, a simplier interface, can be beneficial to the newbie. So lets have one. However, Not to upset the rest of us, who have become quite accustomed to the current interface. Perhaps we could have both interfaces to choose from. That way all the bases would be covered and everyone would be happy. Just an idea.':idea:'
Why does it need to be all in one package?
Why not use sketch-up as a starter package?
Wings if you want to create game models, and blender if you want to create Elephants Dream like animations?
I don't see people at adobe forums complaining they need a simpler photoshop to view photos, o and a lib-creater as iPhoto has because that is far easier to archive photos...

Ammusionist

Shameless attempt to hijack a thread . . .

Post by Ammusionist »

I was looking to open a thread on this, but as there's already a thread here with the right title, I'm going to hop in and take it for a spin.

In a list of the top 10 reasons people don't want to use Blender, they're all "The Interface"

I think that the interface re-factor in the next release is such a big deal and should address the one point slowing Blender's advance against the other $eriously $sylish $foftware :D .

I was wondering if anyone had put forward the suggestion of making this major re-factor release Blender 3.0 ???

Hmmm - Might post this in BlenderArtists as well!

stiv

Re: Shameless attempt to hijack a thread . . .

Post by stiv »

Hmmm - Might post this in BlenderArtists as well!
That's a good place for it! It's not like we need Yet Another Blender UI (YABUI) discussion thread here.

joeri

Post by joeri »

Ammusionist wrote:In a list of the top 10 reasons people don't want to use Blender, they're all "The Interface"
So is the top 10 of people who do.
Ammusionist wrote:I think that the interface re-factor in the next release is such a big deal and should address the one point slowing Blender's advance against the other $eriously $sylish $foftware :D .
I think it will look pretty much the same. As far as I understand it 2.5 will have the underlaying system refactored, ready for you to start programming on the actual GUI change users look at.
Ammusionist wrote:I was wondering if anyone had put forward the suggestion of making this major re-factor release Blender 3.0 ???
Have you seen the roadmap?

Ammusionist

Post by Ammusionist »

joeri wrote:Have you seen the roadmap?
No, but I'm willing to learn how to fold...

Where do I find it?

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip »

After the refactor it should be possible to design as simple a UI as you like, so draft up a proposal/design now, and then you can implement it after the refactor :)

Personally I hope/plan to make a 'kids' interface to Blender with bright buttons, etc. that only shows stuff for sculpting and painting, and has some easy premade models.

LetterRip

stiv

Post by stiv »

Ammusionist wrote:
Heh. Lots of Blender development goodness, works in progress and future plans in the Developer section of the Blender Wiki:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev

Docs on Blender architecture at blender.org
http://www.blender.org/development/

joeri

Post by joeri »

Ammusionist wrote:
Where do I find it?
I found this on the homepage
http://www.blender.org/development/curr ... since-243/

Koba

Post by Koba »

Personally, I hope the default interface *doesn't* change. Instead, it should become even more customisable both visually and in key bindings. A variety of common/popular layouts could then be included.
Personally I hope/plan to make a 'kids' interface to Blender with bright buttons, etc. that only shows stuff for sculpting and painting, and has some easy premade models.
That is a very interesting idea. That is why I would like to ask if there are any plans to make the use of preset models/materials/textures easier? The Blender library script is great but not the same as having an integrated solution.

I'm asking because it seems to me adding such functionality would go well with the image browser and interface work being done.

Koba

Isocles

Post by Isocles »