Macromedia/Adobe Flash editor replacement

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Ravenclaw

Macromedia/Adobe Flash editor replacement

Post by Ravenclaw »

Hi all,

In the event that this question has been asked 100 thousand times already, please accept my apologies.

However, as a web developer who is working on Linux, I am unable to find a replacement for Flash....there are some alternatives which mimic Flash such as F4L and Synfig, however both projects are in the early stages, both buggy, and both suffering from lack of support.

Blender is, as far as my limited knowledge tells me, related to the 3d imaging focus.....my question is...can it be used as a replacement to flash??

Can I create cool little graphics, intros etc with swf output in Blender?? Is Blender a decent replacement for Flash in Linux??

Thanks in advance for any info!

joeri

Post by joeri »

Blender has no swf/vector output format. So if you are looking for small sized animations then blender is not your solution.

The blender game engine plug-in for web browsers is no longer developed on, this means you would be stuck with 2.25 and the plug-in does not support all browsers nor all operating systems...

I think for now blender is not your best choice for creating interactive content, nor for creating small (filesize) animations.

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip »

There is a path to swf output - output to xsi, then use the xsi to swf program at sourceforge.

Haven't tried it so may not do everything you need though.

LetterRip

Koba

Post by Koba »

Flash for linux?

My suggestion is that you use a command line program (eg potrace) to vectorise Blender's raster output to .svg. At which point a combination of ImageMagick, swftools and ffmpeg should get you to .flv or .swf.

Now you can use openlaszlo to create interactive flash content!

http://www.openlaszlo.org/

Also try the xsi to swf program LetterRip suggested.

Koba

P.S> Of yours you can use other programs instead of Blender if you wish using this method - synfig for example doesn't export vector formats anyway.

EDIT: Looked for xsi to swf on sourceforge and couldn't find it.

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip »

sorry meant shockwave3d

http://sourceforge.net/projects/xsi2w3d/

there is also a flash exporter for blender

http://www3.sympatico.ca/emilio.aguirre/s2flender.html

LetterRip

VanHeber

Post by VanHeber »

Hi. I have see here that all peoples think to use Blender to export a SWF file. This is a mistake. I believe that developers can replace Blender Web 3d Plugin with a newer version and make a substitute to Flash. With Blender we can make interactive sites like Flash with 3D contents or using Sprites elements. Sites can be make in Blend format if users can use a new plugin. The Blender Foundation have a powerfull application in hands, but don't see this possibility. And, well, I'm a designer only, not a programer.

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing »

VanHeber wrote:I believe that developers can replace Blender Web 3d Plugin with a newer version and make a substitute to Flash.
We are lacking a(n active) maintainer for the 3d plugin, so this is currently in an unsupported state. If there is any developer out there interested in developing and maintaining it, he'd be very much welcome.

/Nathan

joeri

Post by joeri »

VanHeber wrote:The Blender Foundation have a powerfull application in hands, but don't see this possibility.
I think you've got hold of the wrong end of the stick.

VanHeber

Post by VanHeber »

Oh ok! This is a mistake. I mean that I don't see, for now, a possibility for a development in these features, because for a long time I have not see evolutions in this GREAT FEATURE!.

Linux have a lack in a robust RIA visual application.
Flash have a lack in to do 3d RIA content.

So I see in Blender a great power in these areas. But it needs more people (programers) to do.

Please, develop WEBLENDER plugin. Make Blender a great Web Authoring Tool like Flash.
(Suggestion: See project Blender Instinctive.de or dtp blender to know how to work with text for this)

Can undestand what I think?

joeri

Post by joeri »

Not a Number, the company that went bankrupt, and the reason the code went up for sale to the opensource community, tried to do just that, and:... failed.

Now there are a number of reasons why this fail happend, but a very important reason for no 3d web plugin (that works) at this moment is because: (IMO) 3d is darn hard to do and thus expensive.