Problem with blender

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Fab1j0

Problem with blender

Post by Fab1j0 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:06 pm

When i want to run blender i get error. Error:This application has failed to start because MSVCR71.dll was not found. Re-installing application may fix this problem. Please help me witn this problem.

Thanks
Lp

olivs

Post by olivs » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:02 am

perhaps it is related to the note on the Download page: http://www.blender.org/download/get-blender/
For the Windows build, you may need to install this official update. Vista doesn't need this, but users of older Windows versions should install it if they experience a crash during startup of Blender. Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86)
Please confirm.

Fab1j0

Post by Fab1j0 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:03 pm

olivs wrote:perhaps it is related to the note on the Download page: http://www.blender.org/download/get-blender/
For the Windows build, you may need to install this official update. Vista doesn't need this, but users of older Windows versions should install it if they experience a crash during startup of Blender. Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86)
Please confirm.
I install this Visual C++ 2005 Redistrubutable package, but the program still dont working. Ok then i was try on brother's computer, but i got the same problem.

Lp

olivs

Post by olivs » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:05 pm

no more clue from me, I'm not a Windows user. Perhaps make a search for this .dll directly over the internet, download it and put it in Blender's folder.

Good luck!

Fab1j0

Post by Fab1j0 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:35 pm

olivs wrote:no more clue from me, I'm not a Windows user. Perhaps make a search for this .dll directly over the internet, download it and put it in Blender's folder.

Good luck!
tnx a lot for this. I download this .dll and now program is working.

Tnx :lol: :wink:

trab

Post by trab » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:06 am

I had the same problem and I found MSVCR71.DLL as part of Microsoft.NET Framework 1.1 that is not part of a clean installation of Windows Vista.
The "official" Framework 1.1 can be downloaded at:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... layLang=en

Installing the Framework was NOT enough to run Blender 2.44: I had to copy the .dll into Blender folder. After copying the .dll I removed Framework 1.1 and Blender is still working.

I think Blender team shoud consider this issue in future versions of installer...

Fab1j0 wrote:
olivs wrote:no more clue from me, I'm not a Windows user. Perhaps make a search for this .dll directly over the internet, download it and put it in Blender's folder.

Good luck!
tnx a lot for this. I download this .dll and now program is working.

Tnx :lol: :wink:
trab

miran

Post by miran » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:15 pm

I know this is an old post, but for me it's a new problem.

I tried copying msvcr71.dll into the blender directory, and while it was recognized it didn't stop the crashing.

As for the advice regarding release245.md5, it results in a 'not a valid command' error message. I tried using run and the command promtp window: plain, from the blender directory, with and without quotes. All ways I could think of to type this results in an error. Lister shows some content for the file, nothing I can find unpacks it. Just how is this supposed to work?

My actual problem is that when I click on a directory (which has a lot of files, including the files I want to use) blender crashes. It's an utterly reliable crash.

Master Letch

Post by Master Letch » Sun May 25, 2008 9:08 am

what you have to do is copy the missing dll to the windows system or system32 (can't remember off the top of my head, but its where they are all kept) directory, and the error will go away, as for the crashing make sure there are no broken links... but there really the best i can do.
M. Letch

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip » Sun May 25, 2008 10:29 pm

Just install python 2.5 from python.org it has the dll and works fine,

LetterRip

c0d3h4x0r

Re: Problem with blender

Post by c0d3h4x0r » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:19 pm

Fab1j0 wrote:When i want to run blender i get error. Error:This application has failed to start because MSVCR71.dll was not found. Re-installing application may fix this problem.
olivs wrote: perhaps it is related to the note on the Download page: http://www.blender.org/download/get-blender/
I am hitting this same problem trying to install and run Blender 2.46 on Vista Enterprise SP1 32-bit, so clearly Vista needs MSVCR71.DLL too. I even tried re-running the Blender installer elevated (as administrator), and that didn't make the problem go away.

I downloaded and ran that VS redistriutable, but it appeared to do nothing, even when I tried running it elevated (as administrator). That redistributable package appears to be incompatible with Vista.

I searched my entire hard drive for MSVCR71.DLL, and only application-specific copies were found (no shared copy installed to c:\windows\system32):

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\msvcr71.dll
C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\OFFICE12\VS Runtime\MSVCR71.DLL
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\msvcr71.dll
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\ADDINS\MSVCR71.DLL

This is an obvious bug in the Blender installer. It should install all DLLs the app needs, either to the application directory, or to the system directory, or both. Clearly it isn't doing either one.

To manually fix this defect, I had to use an elevated command prompt to copy %WinDir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\msvcr71.dll to %WinDir%\system32. After doing that, Blender finally launches.

Informational note: my %WinDir%\system32\MSVCR71.DLL is version 7.10.3052.4, dated 2/21/2003. My Blender version is 2.46.

Blender developers, please fix this!

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:26 am

If you would have read the replys to, you would have seen the suggestion of installing python 2.5,

LetterRip

c0d3h4x0r

Post by c0d3h4x0r » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:37 pm

LetterRip wrote:If you would have read the replys to, you would have seen the suggestion of installing python 2.5,

LetterRip
Don't be a jerk!

I did read the replies. I don't want to install Python. If Blender requires Python, then Python should be included in the Blender installer package.

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:06 pm

c0d3h4x0r wrote:
Don't be a jerk!
Let that be the first and last time you use that language here.
c0d3h4x0r wrote: I did read the replies. I don't want to install Python. If Blender requires Python, then Python should be included in the Blender installer package.
If Blender requires Python for all included scripts to work, then you can download it seperately. We distribute Blender, not Python.

The dll has not been included in our installers because we are still unclear about license issues, so we play it on the safe side: no msvc dlls bundled with the installer.

/Nathan

c0d3h4x0r

Post by c0d3h4x0r » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:54 pm

jesterKing wrote:
c0d3h4x0r wrote:
Don't be a jerk!
Let that be the first and last time you use that language here.
When someone is mean, I call them on it, period. I don't tolerate bullies.

Instead of chastising me, you should be chastising LetterRip for being mean and snooty without provocation. And you should be thanking me for taking up my valuable time to investigate this bug in your software and type up a detailed report of the cause and the workaround.

Users who volunteer their own time, out of good samaritanship, to help make your software better, are a rare breed. Don't abuse us and chase us away.

stiv

Post by stiv » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:08 pm

Instead of chastising me, you should be chastising LetterRip for being mean and snooty without provocation.
Wrong. Installing Python is the easiest solution. Much easier than mucking about with .dlls for most users who tend towards the clueless end of the spectrum. Python is also Blender's scripting language and having a complete install gives you access to more scripts.

Play nice or take your attitude somewhere else.