Problem with blender

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

c0d3h4x0r

Post by c0d3h4x0r »

stiv wrote: Wrong. Installing Python is the easiest solution. Much easier than mucking about with .dlls for most users who tend towards the clueless end of the spectrum.
Then the instructios on the Blender download page should be changed to state that installing Python is a mandatory prerequisite for installing Blender.

stiv

Post by stiv »

Python is *not* mandatory. It is just nice to have if you want to run any scripts.

On unixy platforms (linux, osx, bsd, solaris, etc), python is usually already installed since it is quite useful by itself. On Windows, we include a tiny bit of Python to make our distributed scripts run.

The problem you are having is that your operating system vendor no longer distributes a particular .dll with some version of their product. Whether this was part of the OS or an SDK, I don't recall. The easiest way to fix this is to install Python - click to download, click to install. The alternative, as mentioned in this thread and others on the same subject, is to download the missing .dll from your vendor and install it somewhere in the .dll load path.

c0d3h4x0r

Post by c0d3h4x0r »

stiv wrote:Python is *not* mandatory. It is just nice to have if you want to run any scripts.
It's aparently mandatory if you want a working installation of Blender on Windows.
stiv wrote: On unixy platforms (linux, osx, bsd, solaris, etc), python is usually already installed since it is quite useful by itself. On Windows, we include a tiny bit of Python to make our distributed scripts run.

The problem you are having is that your operating system vendor no longer distributes a particular .dll with some version of their product.
No, the problem is that Blender fails to install a DLL it depends on. That's not the fault of the OS, that's the fault of Blender.
stive wrote: The alternative, as mentioned in this thread and others on the same subject, is to download the missing .dll from your vendor and install it somewhere in the .dll load path.
As I already pointed out earlier, the Microsoft-provided redistributable provided via the Blender download page does not work on Vista. Perhaps you guys should link to a version of the redistributable package that actually works on Vista.

Besides, the Blender installer should install the DLL. It is not an unreasonable or unorthodox user expectation (in the Windows world, anyway) for an application installer to install everything the application needs to successfully launch and run. If there are licensing/legal issues in the way, then a bug should be entered to track getting them resolved so that this can get fixed properly.

HPsauce

Post by HPsauce »

yeah, im like new and everything too but i had that problem. Although it now says on window "Found Python . Got it" what happens now as nothing opens up or anything it just remains on that same window. Am I missing something here or is it one of those 'you can download but need activation code" things??

I cant stress how new I am :wink:
Join our UK group for all UK gamers and gaming enthusiasts - UKGamers

kAinStein

Post by kAinStein »

c0d3h4x0r wrote: As I already pointed out earlier, the Microsoft-provided redistributable provided via the Blender download page does not work on Vista. Perhaps you guys should link to a version of the redistributable package that actually works on Vista.
Hm. The version from the download page works fine on Vista (at least on the German version) out of the box. Have just tried it.