blender 2.26 bug or do I need to change something?

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

ero

blender 2.26 bug or do I need to change something?

Post by ero » Sun Mar 30, 2003 8:27 am

Hi all :)
I just installed blender 2.26 and the interface is really slow. Like, when I click on the menu bar, it takes a few seconds to redraw. Same when I use the shortcut [Shift + d]. It takes a second or two until i can select an option.
I used to run blender und that never happened before.

My sytem is a self built AMD machine with a Radeon 7000. I have the latest XP-Updated driver and no matter what I install, it doesn't go away.
The last version of blender I used was 2.23 and back then all was fine.

To fix the problem, I also installed mandrake9.1 and blender runs ok under Linux, but as soon as I press F12 it crushes.

Any help would be great! (I just returned to blender after a break)

Thanks,
ero

IoN_PuLse

Post by IoN_PuLse » Sun Mar 30, 2003 7:59 pm

Did you install updated drivers by downloading them from www.ati.com, or were they updated through windows update? You want to make sure you download the latest drivers from www.ati.com.

ero

Post by ero » Mon Mar 31, 2003 9:26 am

IoN Pulse, thank you for your reply :)
I just installed the drivers from ATI, installation went ok then installed blender 2.26.
It opens fast (as it used to) but when I click the FILE menu, it takes about 20 seconds to draw. When I then move the mouse up and down the fields, it takes another 5+ seconds until they turn blue.

Same on the SNAP menue. I really would like to return to be a blender only user and would be grateful if there was a fix for my problem.

Anyone using an ATI radeon 7000?

Thanks,
ero

koob

Post by koob » Mon Mar 31, 2003 10:08 am

Have you got something disabled in your DirectX diag by any chance? Friend of mine had similar problems and it turned out hardware acceleration had randomly turned itself off one day(!) Or so he says... Also I've found if I have something like Kazaa running in the background blender grinds to a halt for some reason. Try running it with any background apps turned off.

good luck!

ero

Post by ero » Mon Mar 31, 2003 11:57 am

no, I don't run any background apps at all and I don't have Kazza or anything like that installed.
This is a new install of XP, including all MS updates. Plus, the video drivers I added today.
None of the past blender versions run normal ether.
When I click on file, the menue appears like if it was written by a typewriter, line by line and quite slow. While it goes trough the 16 fields downward I can't even close blender. Only after it finishes displaying the pop down menue, I can close it normal.

I can't beleve that I'm the only one experiencing this.
My computer run, Maya4.5, XSI, Houdini5.5, Cinema4d and everything that Adobe makes with no problems in the past.

If anyone still has some ideas, please give me suggestions.
Thank you,
ero

harkyman

Post by harkyman » Mon Mar 31, 2003 3:17 pm

DirectX setting are irrelevant. Blender is strictly OpenGL. Does your video card have an antialiasing mode enabled? If so, turn it off. This can cause the kind of behavior you're describing. This is a noted "bug" in Blender.

IoN_PuLse

Post by IoN_PuLse » Mon Mar 31, 2003 6:44 pm

Yes turn anti-aliasing off (it would be in your ATI driver settings), also do you have a Sound Blaster Live card? Try changing your shortcut to:

blender.exe -nosound

Saluk

Post by Saluk » Mon Mar 31, 2003 11:39 pm

I have trouble with any ati driver past 2.5

I think that after 2.5 they dont support the 7000 series as much because they want you to buy a newer card:)

Thunderbolt16

Post by Thunderbolt16 » Tue Apr 01, 2003 1:56 am

I actually had a similar problem with my ATI Radeon 7000 card, the problem turned out that the OpenGL slider changed itself to maximum quality, minimum performance. I slid it back to to performance over quality, and the redraw rate increased to an acceptable level, its still not as fast as it used to be, but acceptable.

ero

Post by ero » Tue Apr 01, 2003 6:19 am

thank's everyone for the help. I tried everything but couldn't fix it.
Maybe if someone happens to read this who is thinking of buying a cheap ATI Radeon 7000 card, my advice is, stay away from it.

Thank's all :)
ero

ps: I have mandrake 9.1 up and running and can use blender that way. What I don't understand is, that after about 2 or 3 renders, it crushes. Probably the same problem (ATI Radeon 7k)

ero

Post by ero » Thu Apr 10, 2003 6:21 am

I just got a GeForce4 from my good friend Gerald and he took my ATI so that I can use blender again!
Last night I made my first blender pic in a long time! YAY! Life is good agian

ero