new selection procedures

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

digitalis_vulgaris

new selection procedures

Post by digitalis_vulgaris »

I'm hopping that I am in the right place for giving ideas for improvement of Blender. I don't know how development of Blender work, but I would like to contribute.

XSI have the best selection procedures I ever use. It's a such time saver, and I really like to see something like this in Blender.

- Selecting between two elements -
1. Select first element (poligon, vertex or edge)
---0-----------------
2. ALT+select to select second element
---0------------0---
Result is selection of first and second element, and all elements between first and second.
---000000000---

- Selecting all elements in direction -
1. Select first element
-------
-------
-------
--0---
2. In Blender it could be CTLR+ALT+select "direction" element
--0---
-------
-------
--0---
Result is selection of all element in that direction. This procedure substitute ring and loop selection.
--0---
--0---
--0---
--0---

BeBraw

Post by BeBraw »

digitalis_vulgaris

Men, that is fast. I yesterday have proposal and today this staff is already in Blender ! You guise are really quick !

To be honest, I didn't know Blender have vertex path.

Loop and ring have selection procedures different depending on geometry type, and that is bad. XSI directional method is faster and more natural, works the same on any type of geometry.

I don't like vertex path. To use vertex path you need to select vertexs, open menu, find option in menu, choose option. In XSI two clicks are all you need. This "path-finding selection" should work with any type of geometry, not only vertex.

XSI have special edit mode for fast modeling. When is active, you don't need to switch between geometry types - click on vertex to select vertex, edge to select edge and face to select face. Such simplicity makes him great modeler. Selection options work the same on any type of geometry. In XSI you can finish high detail models in couple of minutes!

I don't want to playing a smart guy, but simple is always better...

I would like to Blender become the fastest modeling tool ! Faster than XSI. So don't hate me for being so critical. I love Blender a lot - like a child. I would like to see him growing and become greater than other software...

BeBraw

Post by BeBraw »

User interface is always a compromise of some sort. In case of Blender, alt is used for selecting edge loop (ctrl-alt for face loop. shift to add/remove from selection). These tend to work well in most of the cases.

Of course it would be nice to have this kind of stuff configurable. Fortunately it is on the roadmap of Blender. One of the deliverables of the event refactor should be configurable keybindings so in that case one could easily achieve what you just described (select, alt-select -> action).

digitalis_vulgaris

Your comment is OK from aspect hotkeys and shortcut. I'm talking about changing selection procedures in the way which is proven as optimal solution. One of the best and most professional modeling tool treat geometry on this way. This procedures speed up modeling a lot.

I know is more exiting to play and discover new solutions...

moh taia

Post by moh taia »

digitalis_vulgaris ,

on edit mode select the Vertex button then hold Shift and select edge and face buttons
now the three buttons are selected together
and now you can select geometry Face or Edge or Vertices without needing to switch between geometry types

i found this by accident ^_^

digitalis_vulgaris

This is beautiful. I was playing around with this, and I'm very happy how it works. Thanks moh taia : ) Can just grab geometry with right click and move it.
Problem is when I try loop or ring using keyboard+click combinations. Blender force procedures for polygons. Still I believe that Blend need same procedure for all geometry types, using directional determination procedure and path procedure for selecting any type of geometry.

moh taia

Post by moh taia »

hope that someone work on this
as a quick work around to the selection problem
cancel the Face button only from selection
and you can select verts and edge loops by Alt+RMB
and even select Face loops by Alt+Ctrl+RMB
sorry for my english ^_^

digitalis_vulgaris

Ouh... Backup plan G6...
You are truly life saver moh taia. Thanks.

Not as simple as in XSI but it's OK. Now I only missing path selection procedure...