Collada in Blender what happend?

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

RunsWithScissors

Collada in Blender what happend?

Post by RunsWithScissors » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:49 pm

So has the idea of blender playing nice with other apps died again?
I seem to remember there being a big push on collada in blender but it seems that the wheels have sorta fallen off of the movement.

I can transfer collada files between several other apps with no problems. Actually I can transfer collada files between All of my other apps with no problems but when I try to open them in blender... oh hell no. 99% othe times it outright fails and the 1% of the time it works the model is incomplete and totally fubar.

what is the deal with this? If blender wants to have a future in production it needs to play better with the industry standard apps.

stiv

Post by stiv » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:54 pm

Yep. Due to our vast market share and desire to dominate the 3d world, we have decreed that .blend will be the universal file format, now and forever.

Of course, if something is not working, you can always file a bug report. Be sure to include some test data so we have something to work with.

ysvry

Post by ysvry » Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:40 am

stiv wrote:
we have decreed that .blend will be the universal file format, now and forever.

quote]

not a bad ideer at all stiv,If you also make a plugin for internet explorer it will be a 3d web standard too. Talking about standarisation convince all other 3d apps to change theire ui to look and operate like blender too, so we stop geting those plz change the interface like how my school 3d proggy worked. ;P (mind you, if people have ideers how functionality could be improved and explain why another app does work better they might have a point of including such things in blender.)

RunsWithScissors

Post by RunsWithScissors » Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:54 am

I llike blender but the interface is crap man always has been and always will be. It is the only marginaly better than lightwave.

Blenders interface is by far its weakest point.