Blender and Extended Primitives and n-gon

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

thunderthunder

Blender and Extended Primitives and n-gon

Post by thunderthunder »

Okey I was wondering if anyone think that in the mesh editing panel there should be a Extended Primitives section. You know just to make things a little bit faster when it comes to mesh editing, instead of creating a mesh then going through a process and then extruding the mesh.

Also I was wondering could like a n-gon type of tool be added. if anyone doesn't know what I am talking about let me know.

kAinStein

Re: Blender and Extended Primitives and n-gon

Post by kAinStein »

thunderthunder wrote:Okey I was wondering if anyone think that in the mesh editing panel there should be a Extended Primitives section. You know just to make things a little bit faster when it comes to mesh editing, instead of creating a mesh then going through a process and then extruding the mesh.

if anyone doesn't know what I am talking about let me know.
I don't, but would like to know what you mean. :) Could you please specify it a bit further? What should it do and how should the workflow look like? Making things faster is always good. =)
Also I was wondering could like a n-gon type of tool be added.
I think to remember that Ton wrote something on n-gons. I'm not sure if it was in the forums or the Dev wiki. But n-gons are desired by many people and certainly n-gon support is something that is missing but needed (from my point of view). Though I can't tell about the priority of it.

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing »

kAinStein

Post by kAinStein »

jesterKing wrote:Some info on development (concerning n-gons)

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/Bmesh
http://www.blendernation.com/2007/11/09 ... o-preview/

/Nathan
Thanks! I was too lazy to search it... Shame on me! ;)

thunderthunder

Post by thunderthunder »

as shown in the picture, imagine the blender tool menu having a extended primitives section, where you select a mesh

as shown and place it somewhere

then you scale the object on the axis according to which ever way is the top of the mesh

this just makes things alot easier

now the work flow should be just a couple of clicks then boom!!! you have a mesh made in a matter of sec's.

kAinStein

Post by kAinStein »

Ah! I see! You mean parametric objects. Yes, parametric objects are very useful to some extent. Matt Ebb has made a few experiments with it and according to the videos he presented on his site it seemed to work fine. But this is his personal work. I can't tell how far this is taken into consideration for the Blender trunk. Probably it won't happen soon that you can see this in an official Blender release.

thunderthunder

Post by thunderthunder »

oh ok ok I understand thanks for the information