UI

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

x3lumin8x

UI

Post by x3lumin8x » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:52 pm

Are there any plans to redo the UI? No offense but the UI is garbage compared to like Maya or 3dsmax.

NielsBlender

Re: UI

Post by NielsBlender » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:31 pm

x3lumin8x wrote:No offense but the UI is garbage compared to like Maya or 3dsmax.
It still sounds like:'You're an xxxxxxx, but I mean it in the nicest possible way' :)

But to be serious, it is common knowledge Blender has an unusual interface not an unusable interface.
People familiar with the common 3D workflow, find the USER-interface very intuitive, the learning curve is steeper in comparison with some of the 3D programs and even most programs including OS's.
The steepness of the curve is based on USER's abilities to know and create the interface themselves.
I think Blender shows an extending bone to the word USERinterface.

Hope this helps,
Niels

Caronte

Re: UI

Post by Caronte » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:17 pm

x3lumin8x wrote:Are there any plans to redo the UI? No offense but the UI is garbage compared to like Maya or 3dsmax.
For me, the Blender UI is awesomely intuitive and terribly fast.

Is better if you say: "I don't know how to use this different UI" :wink:
Caronte.
"Some Day, All Will Be Digital"
http://www.nicodigital.com

distroid

I used 3dsmax since 2.5 up to R9 and was a die-hard but ...

Post by distroid » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:51 am

I disagree. Blender's UI needs to be carried out into an entire OS concept.

Callaginn

Blender UI enhancements

Post by Callaginn » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:15 pm

I'm not part of DEV, but I'm working on a new Blender design on my own. I agree that it can be hard to use. I immediately recognized that when I first began to use it.

On the other hand, the Blender DEVs have done a great job on a product that is beginning to rival some mainstream programs. I congratulate them on that...

Anyway, here's a pic of my proposal. It still has quite a bit of work left, but this should give anyone a basic idea. I'd appreciate any feedback/suggestions.

My main forum post can be viewed here. I'd love to hear any feedback/suggestions if you are interested. (I'm not really sure what it will take to get some of the GUI enhancements through...
Thanks,
Stephen Ginn
[RusaginnAT Gmail DOTCOM]