Don't let TCPA ruin Blender

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

spaceseel

Don't let TCPA ruin Blender

Post by spaceseel »

While surfing the internet, I stumbled onto this website (listed below).

I'm only trying to at least make everyone in the community aware of a technology practice called Trusted Computing. To sum it up, open-source and freeware software would be condemned to die, because without a huge-money license for TC (Trusted Computing) certification for the software, open source and freeware software will simply not work. In the USA there's a planed bill, the so called CBDPTA (Consumer Broadband and Digital Television Promotion Act). First it was callen SSSCA (Security Systems Standards and Certification Act). This bill plans to legally force secure (TCPA-conform) systems. So in the USA it would then not be allowed to buy or sell systems that are not TCPA-conform. Passing this law would cause software designers who design non-TCP software to be punished with up to 5 years of prision and up to $500,000 fine. Even if this bill would only valid in the USA, it would have catastrophically effects worldwide. Because US companies are not allowed to develop and sell "unsecure" software, others would have to jump onto the TCP-train, so they would give total control over themself to the TCPA (USA?), or they would have to live completely without software and harware from US-companies.

These are a few links that talk more about it:

- http://www.againsttcpa.com/what-is-tcpa.html
- http://lafkon.net/tc/
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trusted_Co ... m_Alliance
- https://www.trustedcomputinggroup.org

I'm not trying to force this fact onto anyone. My goal at least is to make people more aware of the potential threat this system will have on Blender if something is not done about it. And I know...some of the content was cut/paste from againsttcpa.com and just be aware that the copied content was last updated October 2005.

Koba

Post by Koba »

It is an everlasting battle against greedy cooperate interests. Battles for net neutrality, battles against software patent law and now battles against "trusted computing".

It disgusts me that money is the power behind what laws are passes and never the vast majority of people's interest.

My only comfort is that US law won't break open source for the whole world - only cripple it. I think the rest of the world is more willing to live *without* US hardware and software than be subject to such a Draconian law. Many countries have resented the dependance on Microsoft for many years and such a law would simply accelerate the move to linux worldwide.

This is what the Free software movement is all about - fighting for the right to our own code and our own machines. Such a law will only add fuel to the fire and at some point even ordinary people will wake up to the fact that this simply isn't acceptable.

I hope so anyway.

Koba

shadowman99

Post by shadowman99 »

Trusted computing is simply one of the devices that will help marginalize Microsoft and Window's dominance in the market. For those of us who have been wishing for a greater opening for alternative Operating Systems, Trusted Computing is one of those misfires in the making that could help wake up consumers to look beyond Windows for their next system.

Look no further than the tidal wave of people not adopting Vista. Microsoft has just learned it's first leason that people will not install the latest MS OS simply because they were told 'it's time'. There must be a BENEFIT, and Vista doesn't offer any. Not for the consumer, anyhow. There's plenty of DRM, and there's greater remote control for Redmond to do poorly documented forced updates.

At this point in time, Apple is not yet a TC partner. There will be Linux libs available, and you can be certain there will be many internet sites documenting how to disable/modify the settings. Life will go on.

If you're really worried about this, perhaps it's time to look at one of the other operating systems supported by Blender.

spaceseel

Post by spaceseel »

I'm not really worried at the present time. I'm currently using Windows XP, and I'll maybe be switching to Linux later on (Ubuntu, Fadora, ?). I'm not sure which one's the best. What would you suggest?

On another note, I recently found a whitepaper that talks about the pros and cons of Trusted Computing. The paper really helped clear out some common misconceptions of it that I didn't know about before.
...When programs are adequately protected against interference by other programs, there is no security requirement that any particular software should be prevented from running. Just as multi-user operating systems allow users to run the software of their choice while protecting other users from the effects of that software, NGSCB (Next-Generation Secure Computing Base) could allow users to run the software of their choice while protecting other software from its effects. Only a particularly crude security model would require prohibiting "bad" software from a computer entirely, and the NGSCB model is not so crude. In addition, that approach would require some means of determining which software is "bad", which would truly be a daunting task. (Some proprietary systems assume that all software not signed by a recognized authority is "bad", but users would properly reject this heavy-handed approach in the computer environment. They rightly insist on being able to write and use software without the prior approval of some authority.)...
http://www.eff.org/wp/trusted-computing ... e-and-risk