SpaceNavigator 3D Connexion & Blender 2.5 ?

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Artie61

Post by Artie61 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:35 pm

Soelen wrote:Heh after reading those messages I dont wanna purchase this mouse anymore. I guess I have to wait until someone provides drivers for blender 2.5.

And please dont get me wrong; you guys rock creating such an awesome software!
Even though its not intergrated yet ,the beta software works great once u set it up.
I use it in other programs and it seamlessly adjusts profiles as I change windows of opened programs .

so when it becomes intergrated that will be icing on the cake!!!

Artie

RoboticGolem

Post by RoboticGolem » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:24 pm

Artie61 wrote:
Soelen wrote:Heh after reading those messages I dont wanna purchase this mouse anymore. I guess I have to wait until someone provides drivers for blender 2.5.

And please dont get me wrong; you guys rock creating such an awesome software!
Even though its not intergrated yet ,the beta software works great once u set it up.
I use it in other programs and it seamlessly adjusts profiles as I change windows of opened programs .

so when it becomes intergrated that will be icing on the cake!!!

Artie

Do you mean the 3d. Connexion software?

Tehrasha

Post by Tehrasha » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:33 am

WIP Continues.... back and forth from BF-commiters July 6, 2011

Anyway, what I currently see is that most of the device knob usage zooms the 3dview out more and more and more. Zooming back in with the device is impossible (except for using the 'Fit' button, or otherwise NUMPAD PERIOD).

Does 3dview navigation work ok for your device currently?
No, this is very experimental. Just wanted to see the 2.4 behavior in action. Once fly mode works properly, you'll be able to switch between fly, helicopter, trackball or turntable from the NDOF popup menu.

Munkie

SpaceNavigator Addon

Post by Munkie » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:22 pm

Hi,

I have made an attempt to write a blender addon for my SpaceNavigator. I have tested it with blender 2.5.7. Now I need some more volunteers for beta testing.

Here's where you can get it:

https://www.sites.google.com/site/munki ... ator-addon

Any comments appreciated. Best Regards
Munkie

Polarny

Re: SpaceNavigator Addon

Post by Polarny » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:13 pm

Munkie wrote:Hi,

I have made an attempt to write a blender addon for my SpaceNavigator. I have tested it with blender 2.5.7. Now I need some more volunteers for beta testing.

Here's where you can get it:

https://www.sites.google.com/site/munki ... ator-addon

Any comments appreciated. Best Regards
Munkie
Munkie,

Thanks for your effort! I installed your scripts, following your instructions, can see the spacenavigator in addons but the activation will not accept my clikcs. It stays gray.

I am using windows 7 64-bit and 64 bit version of Blender 2.57...

(The Navigaror works fine in Vue and in 3dCoat)

Munkie

Post by Munkie » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:54 am

Hi,

I suspect problems with the "spacenavigator.pyd". Either it is not in the search parth or there are some 64bit issues (I have tested only on 32bit windows).
You could check that by starting blender with option -con (then the console stays open). If there's an error message like "ImportError: No module named spacenavigator", then try to

1) doublecheck that "spacenavigator.pyd" is in your search path "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.57\python\lib" or "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.57\scripts\addons\"

2) Build the "spacenavigator.pyd" 64bit version yourself (sources available at the same link)

Regards
Munkie

Tarion

Post by Tarion » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:46 am

Yeah - it finally works!

Since over a year I'm tracking the merwin/spacenav-branches - and now it finally works.

I've just compiled the current spacenav-branch in Ubuntu (see http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2 ... untu/CMake) and the very first time since 2.5 my spacenavigator works. No addons, no workarounds, no tricks. Just blender and real spacenav support.

AFAIK in windows it was already working some time ago.
Now I wonder how long it will take to integrate this in the official release version...

Hehe, I can't wait to play around...

Thanks guys for your great job!

RoboticGolem

Look at this!!!!

Post by RoboticGolem » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:27 pm

I cant wait to try it when I get home.

http://www.blendernation.com/2011/07/25 ... nder-2-5x/

Polarny

Post by Polarny » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:50 pm

Munkie,

I have to apologize -- I used the wrong files when I tried it first. I went back to your archives and found your 64-bit scripts. And they work!

So, I did not need to go into completely foreign (for me) land of script writing.

If I have to report any issues it has to do with the rotation controls. It seems that when I use the "spin" it "tilts" and vice versa, which makes the operation counter-intuitive. Would you know how to fix those issues? (I am new both to Blender and Space Navigoator. I am a long time user of 3ds Max).

Once again thanks for your generosity and Thank You!

Munkie wrote:Hi,

I suspect problems with the "spacenavigator.pyd". Either it is not in the search parth or there are some 64bit issues (I have tested only on 32bit windows).
You could check that by starting blender with option -con (then the console stays open). If there's an error message like "ImportError: No module named spacenavigator", then try to

1) doublecheck that "spacenavigator.pyd" is in your search path "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.57\python\lib" or "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.57\scripts\addons"

2) Build the "spacenavigator.pyd" 64bit version yourself (sources available at the same link)

Regards
Munkie

Munkie

Post by Munkie » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:22 pm

Hi Polarny,

actually I have created the 64bit version after you have mentioned this issue. It is good news that it seems to work also. Thanks for testing it.

Regarding the spin/tilt issue. I's quite funny, because when I'm testing it on my machine it works fine. I will check this.

In the meantime you may try a workaround by changing the script slightly. The current_device_state[3],[4] and [5] give the rotation values for the different achsis. You can swap spin and tilt by swapping these values in the line where the device_rotation_vector is summed up.

Regards
Munkie

polosson

Post by polosson » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:51 am

Hi everyone !
Tarion wrote:Yeah - it finally works!

Since over a year I'm tracking the merwin/spacenav-branches - and now it finally works.

I've just compiled the current spacenav-branch in Ubuntu (see http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2 ... untu/CMake) and the very first time since 2.5 my spacenavigator works.
I am desperate because I have tried several times to build this branch of Blender on my Ubuntu, but without success ... Tarion (or someone with a binary version of this branch for 32-bit Linux), can you upload your build on Graphicall.org? I'll be very grateful!

...thank you in advance!

.Polosson

polosson

Post by polosson » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:40 pm

Hello !!

OK done!
Compiled versions of spacenav-branch for Linux, Mac and Windows (32 and 64 bits) is online at GraphicAll.org here :
http://graphicall.org/?keywords=spacenavigator

(These are builds compiled just for testing this branch but it's working fine !!)

Many thanks to Mike Erwin for his great work !
++
.polo

stiv

Post by stiv » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:27 pm

From the weekly meeting notes:
> - SpaceNavigator branch: the basics works fine and can go in 2.59,
> it wont break things. Nathan Letwory will discuss with Mike Erwin
> if that's possible within 1-2 days.

Yes, very possible. 3Dconnexion folks are pleased with where it's at
right now, and about 200 users are banging away at it. Only things
left to do prior to release are to disable some debug logging and
include a few more user prefs based on early feedback.
Excitement! Suspense! I think I need to go lie down.

mooncaine

Worked well on one Mac, but not on Macbook Pro

Post by mooncaine » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:38 am

Very excited about this! Thanks!

It works rather well on my work Mac, using a SpaceNavigator Pro, but on my MacBook Pro (with SpaceNavigator for Notebooks), only one axis works, and only intermittently. The side button still pops up the SpaceNav menu.

I'll try both SpaceNavs on both Macs and see what happens.

:D

Tehrasha

Post by Tehrasha » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:11 am

This is great! Integrated support instead of keyboard emulation.

Impressed with how well it works so far. Now they just need to nail down the center of rotation (especially rotate on selection), and get panning to work properly.