Discussion on using GE commercially

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

malCanDo

Discussion on using GE commercially

Post by malCanDo » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:14 am

Hi folks,

I've started a thread on blenderartists.org, which gives a specific commerical project that could be done in Blender, and asks what the legal issues are regarding keeping it closed source, and selling it ( both individually, and having it used in a commercial setting )

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=117300

It would be great to hear both opinions from various parties, which will hopefully lead to a more definitive answer ( ie something that can be FAQed ) - in the hope that more commercial developers might use the GE for paid projects ( and feed back the fixes into Blender GE ).

I've been involved quite a bit with the Blender GE, and was asked why I didn't use it more either commercially or personally for some of my coding projects - the major reason was the whole unknown issues regarding whether I'd be breaking any laws, and could end up with legal costs ( no-one likes paying lawyers! ) over a challenge to some element of Blender GE usage that isn't 100% clear to me at the moment.

Best regards...
Mal

overburn

Post by overburn » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:32 am

as far as i know blender is under gpl so there shouldn't be any legal issues... although.. i recomment you wait till they implement crystal space (if they didn't already... i don't really know)... i've heard that the Blender Game Engine is pretty slow :?: