some posibilities for the next release

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

joshex

some posibilities for the next release

Post by joshex »

I'm currently using blender 2.42a, I will most likley be installing 2.50 upon it's release as I hear it is going to be a stable tested version.

I have a decent grasp on blenders modeling tools, I do ask for help here and there still.

I have and still will be striving to make a game, but there are a few things holding me back from doing such. I am making a suggestion for possible additions to the next release due to this. (tell me what you think)

blender GE:

mesh emit value support. (controls of such added to the logic bricks)

lighting/shading/ shadowing/reflectivity recognition support (no additional controls needed)

subsurf recognition support (no additional controls needed)

particle recognition support (optional, possibly for a later release)

joshex

a stroke of brilliance (replacing above proposition)

Post by joshex »

sorry for the double posts!

OK I had this Idea a couple days back after posting the above. and it's makes much more sense than what I posted above!:

Blender GE advanced

from the scroll down menu it will be a new option along with the old options 3D view, UV image editor ETC.

before entering this mode it will ask the “developer” for a certain key combination (default should be set to Esc), such as EX: Crtl+Shift+Space+Alt+a, and it will be entered as such, this will be the “developers key”

this can be made custom and must be set before entering Blender GE advanced, as said mode will remove all buttons and controlls from viewing, pressing the developers key will bring up the buttons allowing you to switch modes,

also it gives you access to controls unaccessible in any other mode, for example here you have access, to allowing/disallowing the lamp, camera and grid to be shown/ not shown during game play. it will also give you access to the logic bricks. and a special control panel for “frame rate of movement” allowing you to tell the game how “fast/slow” to follow a certain path or line to make each movement or animation, this is done individually by animation. . also access to “scene” controls are accessible.

the engine: the engine it self will basically be the same render engine as object mode, allowing reflectivity, opacity, emit values, shadows, lamps, subsurfing, particles,

things that can be added later:

water (fluid) animations , stars, toon edge, clouds etc.

this provides a better “look” for blender games while cutting down on memory usage. sort of a median between the current GE, and blenders rendering engine.

SaltyOREO

Re: some posibilities for the next release

Post by SaltyOREO »

joshex wrote:
lighting/shading/ shadowing/reflectivity recognition support (no additional controls needed)

subsurf recognition support (no additional controls needed)

particle recognition support (optional, possibly for a later release)
Those are some pretty nice points except for the Subsurf one. If you want your new subsurfaced mesh to show up in the BGE, you have to APPLY the modifier first. So just go into the modifiers, add a subsurface, and apply it when you want.

I really like the
lighting/shading/ shadowing/reflectivity recognition support point, i have been thinking about that for a while and hope that it gets added in the 2.50 version if possible.

Again, nice points and i hope they get added,
SaltyOREO

joshex

Post by joshex »

thanks, yeah the only reason I was thinking about this in the first place, was I was trying to make a flashing object in the GE and couldn't due to the emit value of the MESH objects not being supported in the GE..

I was told to look into python scripting on CGtalk forums and write my own code for the GE to recognise it. but I decided that it might just be a matter of using object mode's graphic rendering, in the GE environment! and I might do best to wait for professionals to code that bit for a later release...

but yes many thanks on the acknowledgement of this possibility! now we just need permission to post it under "todo" for the next release I'd even settle for it as an optional todo, just so it's on there!

thanks again!