Problems with SVN build and Elephants Dream production files

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Post Reply
pltsi
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:15 pm

Problems with SVN build and Elephants Dream production files

Post by pltsi » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:09 pm

Hi All,

I have been playing with Elephants Dream production files using recent Blender SVN builds and I have found some problems with it.

It seems that the new SVN version is a LOT slower than 2.45. For example loading production/05_elevator/05_01.blend takes over 2 minutes to load (compared to ~2 seconds on 2.45). Also the animation data is not correctly loaded. Both Proog and Emo have their mouths wide open when they should be closed and eyes closed when they should be open - just to name few..

Just to make sure that this was not a compilation problem I also build 2.45 from source and the difference was still the same. I have also made profiling builds from both and there was quite big increase in the amount of function calls made in SVN version - particle functions or something similar. I'm not that familiar with Blender code, so I can't say for sure. I still have the logs stored..

My system is Ubuntu 32bit, Gutsy, P4, 1Gb memory.

Has anyone else observed such behavior? Has 2.46 changed so much that ED no longer works correctly?

Thanks,
Sami

slikdigit
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 3:52 am
Location: Northampton, MA (US)

Post by slikdigit » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:38 am

well, I can answer one question at least: the mouth open/closed issue. the reason is that blender < 2.44 had a bug with action constraints- you sometimes had to enter the wrong values to make them work. Old rigs had wrong values in the constraints to workaround the bug. When you go to the new blender, the wrong values just result in wrong results, because the bug has been fixed.

It is very simple to fix this bug- unfortunately, ED did not benefit from the proxy system (coded after the release) so the fix will have to be done to each scene file, instead of just to the library file.

On an unrelated note, I think it would be an interesting idea to have a public SVN for ED/BBB/etc, so that the files can be updated and checked out at the latest revision; the only reason not to do it,is the huge size of the files. (compared to a typical code project)

pltsi
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:15 pm

Post by pltsi » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:39 am

Thanks slikdigit. That explains the animation problem. Better to stick with 2.45 for ED.

LetterRip
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:03 am

Post by LetterRip » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:33 am

Please file bug reports on these issues (one bug report per issue please :) ),

Thanks,

LetterRip

jesterKing
Site Admin
Posts: 207
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2002 12:48 pm
Location: Finland

Post by jesterKing » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:47 am

But make sure you report a bug, not a fix ;)

/Nathan

pltsi
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:15 pm

Post by pltsi » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:02 am

Well, I don't know if there are any bugs left to report. Aligorith explained on BlenderArtists that a long-standing Action Constraint bug has been fixed in SVN and this explains the animation problems seen.

Also the slow loading could be explained with the initialization of new stuff. Haven't tested whether saving and reloading helps here though.

Post Reply