Additional features/basic shapes

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

pinhead_66

Additional features/basic shapes

Post by pinhead_66 »

How about an extra button for the cube shape so you can bevel it faster (less vertices needed, less work)
how about when you create a sphere, the sphere is automatically smooth

shadows for all lightsources

how about when you start blender the first time, you get an averal light (invisible) that lights the scene. This lights dissapeares as soon as you put in your first lamp

materials need some work

All this stuff has been asked by smarter people, and people who can actually try to make it work.

I've tried a lot of demoprograms, but in the end i always keep coming back to blender...

oh well, my 2 cents....

z3r0_d

Re: Additional features/basic shapes

Post by z3r0_d »

pinhead_66 wrote:how about when you create a sphere, the sphere is automatically smooth
because this would be specific to one object, and inconsistent with the others
Once you learn the set smooth, set solid buttons you can do it yourself
pinhead_66 wrote:shadows for all lightsources
what kind of shadow would a hemi light make?
It is possible to simulate sphere shadows, and sun lamp shadows (put it far away), but the method blender uses for shadows (a depth buffer from the lamp pov) isn't well suited for other than spot lamps
pinhead_66 wrote:materials need some work
and there are people working on it
pinhead_66 wrote:how about when you start blender the first time, you get an averal light (invisible) that lights the scene. This lights dissapeares as soon as you put in your first lamp
this, again would be inconsistent. It doesn't exactly make sense if you add a lamp and things get darker... people would have to be taught this, but for somebody that knows blender adding a lamp isn't an issue.

and your first question didn't make sense to me

NateTG

Post by NateTG »

if you want a light to be there when you start, open a new blender, add a light, and hit CTRL-U to save user defaults.

pinhead_66

Post by pinhead_66 »

thanks for the replies, much appreciated

neil

Post by neil »

NateTG wrote:if you want a light to be there when you start, open a new blender, add a light, and hit CTRL-U to save user defaults.
Why not have a light in the "official" defaults (after all you start with a camera and a plane - I generally start by deleting the plane) and then if people didn't want this they could do as you suggest and change there defaults, but it would mean that if you just modelled something and hit render you would at least see something.

Just a thought...

Neil.

SirDude

Post by SirDude »

I think the general argument against it is that it promotes bad modelling practices.

I'm with you though, I think it should be there for the newbie. Once you know what your doing you should setup your own default lighting scheme and whatnot anyway. :)

cessen

Post by cessen »

pinhead_66 wrote:How about an extra button for the cube shape so you can bevel it faster (less vertices needed, less work)
It would be better to have a general-purpose bevel tool (i.e. user selects an edge or edges, and then clicks a "bevel" button--there would, obviously, be various parameters for the beveling tool, as well).
Anybody up for trying to impliment that?
pinhead_66 wrote:how about when you create a sphere, the sphere is automatically smooth
I have nothing against this idea (they are, after all, called spheres in the menu, and real spheres are smooth surfaces), but I don't really think that it matters that much--the "smooth" button is only a click away.
pinhead_66 wrote:shadows for all lightsources
This would probably be straight-forward to impliment for point light-sources (just use six shadow-maps), but it would be somewhat less straight-forward for sun light-sources, and it would be ludicriously impractical for hemi light-sources.

I am actually planning on implimenting shadows for point light-sources after I get the material code ready for bf-blender, and after I impliment a feature chosen by a friend of mine (it's his birthday present :) ).
pinhead_66 wrote:how about when you start blender the first time, you get an averal light (invisible) that lights the scene. This lights dissapeares as soon as you put in your first lamp
Better yet, just have the default setup include a light source--no need for it to be invisible.
pinhead_66 wrote:materials need some work
I'm working on it. :)

Thanks for the ideas!

SirDude

Post by SirDude »

I love the generic bevil tool idea cessen.

Also it would be cool if someone implemented a
n-polygon object and then you were prompted for the N > 2.
I suppose you could also do n =1(point) and n=2(line)
but why ;)

Probably not very usefull for general modelling but in the
specific cases where you would need such an object it
would be nice.

beatabix

Post by beatabix »

cessen wrote:
I have nothing against this idea (they are, after all, called spheres in the menu, and real spheres are smooth surfaces), but I don't really think that it matters that much--the "smooth" button is only a click away.
still, only having that way to access it is a little inconsistant. it could be put in the [W] key menu for alternative approaches (less mouse movement for experienced users).

better yet, the [N] key menu could be expanded to include more things, such a smoothing, context sensitive of course.

(regarding smoothing -> i'm so glad the the silly glitch with unsmoothed extruded faces is now fixed. that was a really stupid annoyance).

BEAT