A Problem, Please Help

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

matt_allen

A Problem, Please Help

Post by matt_allen » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:26 pm

I am running Windows Vista and have just downloaded the latest Blender 2.45, but when i move my mouse over parts of the screen it just goes black apart from the button im over. If the mouse is over the middle bit its fine. Is this correct?

NielsBlender

Post by NielsBlender » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:29 pm

matt_allen,

If you would ask me to do an experienced guess:
Look in 'Windows-services', one of those takes the focus away from Blender... the underlaying-system of Vista is different than XP.

ps.
It's hard to tell from here, which ones would apply to de-activate or should be set to 'manual'.

ps2.
Before you start fiddling with the services, first try to exit all programs than Blender alone, and see for example if the screen is drawn normal doing a window 'minimize->maximize'.

NielsBlender

Post by NielsBlender » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:14 pm

matt_allen,

I just remembered I always set 'Optimize CPU for background-services' instead of programs, this in 'processor-usage' in the System-Settings.
This might do the trick.

ps.
This setting I used since I use Cubase a music-sequencer, they(Steinberg) made ASIO which works 'at the background' and in this case it might give the openGL some 'air'... :)

pinhead_66

Post by pinhead_66 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:40 pm

maybe you can try to turn off Aero. Aero doesn't play nice with openGL and blender. Maybe run the classic windows theme?

greets pin

stiv

Post by stiv » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:09 pm

Problems like this are almost always related to graphics card & driver. Having on-board graphics does not help.

As pinhead_66 says, turn off Aero and any eye candy like shadow cursors. Other hints are update/roll back driver, reduce color depth, reduce hardware acceleration.

If you need more hints, ask on the users forum at blenderartists.org

NielsBlender

Post by NielsBlender » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:48 pm

stiv wrote:almost always
?

matt_allen, stiv must be joking you, he doesn't really want that you reduce your colourdepth, otherwise you will get 'stripes' on the display and he doesn't want you to throw-away your hardware-acceleration which was the main goal for openGL.

stiv

Post by stiv » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:30 pm

NielsBlender wrote:matt_allen, stiv must be joking you, he doesn't really want that you reduce your colourdepth, otherwise you will get 'stripes' on the display and he doesn't want you to throw-away your hardware-acceleration which was the main goal for openGL.
Sorry pal, but a fact is a fact. These are solutions to the problem that have worked for others. Search the forums and see. Basic issue (after broken compositing window managers) is to work around poor opengl support.

First thing to do is turn of Aero if it is being used.

NielsBlender

Post by NielsBlender » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:23 pm

stiv wrote:Basic issue (after broken compositing window managers) is to work around poor opengl support.
Sorry stiv, wrong again, the Windows Logo is clearly visible, no window-managers...
stiv wrote:First thing to do is turn of Aero if it is being used.
Stiv, is this your way of saying: 'He, in my last reply I repeated someone else's words and added no information' ;)

ps.
Oops, stiv the last TWO messages... ;)

NielsBlender

Post by NielsBlender » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:43 pm

Stiv, for the record; I can't really hate any one myself..., I do see it, feel it, but don't follow it. :)

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:09 am

NielsBlender wrote:
stiv wrote:Basic issue (after broken compositing window managers) is to work around poor opengl support.
Sorry stiv, wrong again, the Windows Logo is clearly visible, no window-managers...
Aero *is* the window manager of Windows.
NielsBlender wrote:
Stiv, is this your way of saying: 'He, in my last reply I repeated someone else's words and added no information' ;)

ps.

Stiv, for the record; I can't really hate any one myself..., I do see it, feel it, but don't follow it.
NielsBlender, stop being obnoxious and stop posting irrelevant comments (consider this a warning).

/Nathan

NielsBlender

Post by NielsBlender » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:51 pm

jesterKing wrote:
NielsBlender wrote:
v

Aero *is* the window manager of Windows.
So? There ARE NO Window-ManagerS in Windows!
Vista has little todo with openGL in this case AND NVidia doesn't give poor openGL support!
jesterKing wrote:
NielsBlender wrote:

ps.

Stiv, for the record; I can't really hate any one myself..., I do see it, feel it, but don't follow it.
NielsBlender, stop being obnoxious and stop posting irrelevant comments (consider this a warning).

/Nathan
nathan, what can I say, STOP being the same ASS as Stiv hopefully ended to be!
I didn't posted any irrelevant post so no warning could be given!

Hope this helps,
Niels

ps.
Stiv, the 'almost never' remark was about language, 'never' and 'always' have no parts... Your teacher English will cross the expression with a red-pencil... ;)

NielsBlender

Post by NielsBlender » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:58 pm

Oh, and 'jesterking', it's obviously you have no clue, so stop interfering please. You don't want to discuss this with me on a yearly-Blender-day. ;)

ps.
A lesson from you 'jesterking'?; Giving warnings? Maybe...

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:25 pm

NielsBlender wrote:
jesterKing wrote:Aero *is* the window manager of Windows.
Vista has little todo with openGL in this case AND NVidia doesn't give poor openGL support!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_Window_Manager Read and be informed. See also http://xoblite.net, another window manager you can use under windows (which I do). This justifies the S in your window managerS.

It is just a fact that having Aero turned on is known to generate problems, be it driver or hardware - they become visible in Blender. And the workaround, as proposed many times, is to turn of Aero, each and every visual gimmick. And if that doesn't work, turn down hw accel, antialiasing, decrease colordepth, etc.

/Nathan

ps. your website has been giving 403s for a few months now (link in your signature).

NielsBlender

Post by NielsBlender » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:36 pm

jesterKing wrote:
NielsBlender wrote:
jesterKing wrote:Aero *is* the window manager of Windows.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_Window_Manager Read and be informed. See also http://xoblite.net, another window manager you can use under windows (which I do). This justifies the S in your window managerS.
Did screenshot A or screenshot B mislead you? It doesn't justify anything... ;)
jesterKing wrote:It is just a fact that having Aero turned on is known to generate problems, be it driver or hardware - they become visible in Blender. And the workaround, as proposed many times, is to turn of Aero, each and every visual gimmick. And if that doesn't work, turn down hw accel, antialiasing, decrease colordepth, etc.

/Nathan
The 'PR'-name 'Aero' stands for the same things as one had with XP, yes, they added little extra, Vista did came with my computer...
Last night I turned on ALL 'Aero-things' I could find and even turned on the Gadget-sidebar with three gadgets open and Blender worked fine.
The problems concerning certain window-managers I do know, which are know as 'linux-window-managers', since linux is only a kernel, 'linux' has little to do with it, and not all window-managers use X or XFree, those problems probably relate to window-managers that use openGL-function ment for one program at a time...

I don't advise someone so he gets gradient-banding or 'colour-banding', and not using the hardware-part(acceleration) of the VGA would make me quit 3D anyhow, so why advise such a method to someone else...

jesterKing wrote:ps. your website has been giving 403s for a few months now (link in your signature).
Yes, thank you, I know, I did it myself...
I do have some scripts ready to share, 'Armatecture' is my latest, draw a house with bones and build it with real rocky stones :)
I need it to build the city of Nineve for my Jonah-project...

EDIT:
Besides I put the old(er)-site online for now.

I remember the FloatingPoint-register(FPU) and the MMX-registers can't be used after each other without explicit switching its usage(-mode/status). This might also be an issue with window-managers that use the MMX register to calculate their 'layered-visual-gadgets'.

stiv

Post by stiv » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:12 pm

I don't advise someone so he gets gradient-banding or 'colour-banding', and not using the hardware-part(acceleration) of the VGA would make me quit 3D anyhow, so why advise such a method to someone else...
Reducing color depth only affects the display, not rendered output. Being able to see the interface is a great improvement over large blank areas and broken widgets, even if slightly slower. It is a quick, cheap solution compared to buying new hardware. Hence, the advice.

Glad to hear Aero works for you. A useful data point. Compositing window managers tend to work poorly on embedded and low-end cards (intel, sis, ati, etc).