Blender 2.45 crashes on Ubuntu Studio 8.04

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

MadMesh

Blender 2.45 crashes on Ubuntu Studio 8.04

Post by MadMesh »

I recently installed the new Ubuntu and now Blender wont run anymore, it completely locks up the system.

I think this problem is related to the proprietary drivers installed by default in Ubuntu 8.04, I never had this problem in 7.10.

My Laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1501 with an ATI Graphics Card

stiv

Post by stiv »

Does ubuntu install proprietary (from a company) drivers? I thought they were big on being completely open source.

Anyway, driver/video card problems are the first suspect.
Possible fixes:

* turn off any eyecandy window managers features like compiz

* Try running the static version of blender. It uses Mesa to do software opengl.

* Use a different video driver - either the opensource one from ubuntu or the closed source one from ATI.

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing »

Maybe you could also try download and run the static binaries from our website. These should use the software opengl implementation - if these work, then it very likely is your driver.

/Nathan

MadMesh

Post by MadMesh »

Thanx the static Mesa version works.

MadMesh

Post by MadMesh »

stiv wrote:Does ubuntu install proprietary (from a company) drivers? I thought they were big on being completely open source.
Not on the CD/DVD, when you do an update/install you get the option to connect to the web for recent files and such. When I did the update I got prompted by the installer for downloading the proprietary drivers with the usual notification that they cant distribute that on the DVD.