Survey!! V.2.5 G.U.I. (graphical user interface)

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

kAinStein

Post by kAinStein » Fri May 23, 2008 12:31 am

stiv wrote:Blasphemy against the Church of Emacs is punished by installing Vista Service Pack 3 for all eternity. Repent!
Oh no! Not that! You can do anything with me but please not that! I repent! I repent! *whipshisbackwithanineendedpatchcablelash*

pinhead_66

Post by pinhead_66 » Fri May 23, 2008 10:16 am

I rest my case

greets pin

harmonic

Post by harmonic » Fri May 23, 2008 1:13 pm

one of the principals tools for the development of a project it is the statistic survey.. everybody know this thing...

I'm in full respect of the laws of the forum and despite this you ask to close the topic? what a sadness..

I give you a gift... read well the manual and try the demo of Cinema4D...
later.. only after you have done this... we speak again of the perfect Blender GUI.

http://www.maxon.net/pages/download/downloads_e.html

I love Cinema4D but I also would be happy if someone try to improve it.. but in this place this philosophy is not shared...

So now I'll ban myself!!

ByeBye

kAinStein

Post by kAinStein » Fri May 23, 2008 4:24 pm

harmonic wrote:one of the principals tools for the development of a project it is the statistic survey.. everybody know this thing...
Really? Perhaps you should do a statistic survey on your time consumption when doing something basic with [fill in a package]...
I'm in full respect of the laws of the forum and despite this you ask to close the topic? what a sadness..
A discussion (or "survey") which leads nowhere can be closed. You made a so-called survey and didn't even mention the Blender as an option - about Blender and on the Blender forums. What do you think? That people have to agree with you? That we don't like the approach? Don't you think you are displaying somehow ignorance and acting ridiculous? I don't know who wrote it but there was an answer to such a request like yours: "We like it. If you wanted it another way then we would have changed it. We've got the sources!"
I give you a gift... read well the manual and try the demo of Cinema4D...
What for?
later.. only after you have done this... we speak again of the perfect Blender GUI.
Listen! No one (and I really mean it) claimed any perfection. People named you reasons why which you simply have ignored in great respect to openness and democracy - and especially in great respect to people who are Blender users for a long time.
I love Cinema4D but I also would be happy if someone try to improve it.. but in this place this philosophy is not shared...
Really? I would suggest put the Blender UI on Cinema4D. It would be a great improvement. That'll be more efficient and better for me - certainly it is also better for the rest of the world! And: Deus lo vult!

(If you would like to suggest an improvement then make a proper suggestion telling what, why and how instead of making senseless "surveys")
So now I'll ban myself!!

ByeBye
*waves*

stiv

Post by stiv » Fri May 23, 2008 5:07 pm

pinhead_66 wrote:I'l like to ask a moderator to close this thread please.

Motivation: Over time there have been many threads like this one and they all end up the same way.
Sorry, while your premise is undeniably correct, this *is* News & Chat. There is little reason to close a thread unless it degenerates into abuse and insult.

One good thing about these threads is they concentrate all the repetitive UI discussion in one place. Think of it as a hazardous waste dump! I would create a sticky thread called "Blender's UI Should Look Like $MY_FAVORITE_APP" if I thought you all would use it rather than starting new threads. Maybe it should be its own category.

note: the goal of Blender 2.50 is to re-write the event handling system. Blender has grown far beyond the original design and it is time for some major house-cleaning. Pluggable event handlers will make things like socket listeners and tighter blender/python integration possible. It also makes configurable hotkeys and custom GUIs possible, but that is just gravy and not the end goal.

kAinStein

Post by kAinStein » Fri May 23, 2008 8:49 pm

stiv wrote:Sorry, while your premise is undeniably correct, this *is* News & Chat. There is little reason to close a thread unless it degenerates into abuse and insult.
True. But it gets really boring and kind of annoying...
One good thing about these threads is they concentrate all the repetitive UI discussion in one place. Think of it as a hazardous waste dump!
Also true. But it's hard to resist to silly comments. I'd better be constantly sarcastic as you do it on this topic but I really try hard to avoid it, trying to explain why I like it the way it is and where the advantages are. But I could also tell it to my rubber tree...
I would create a sticky thread called "Blender's UI Should Look Like $MY_FAVORITE_APP" if I thought you all would use it rather than starting new threads. Maybe it should be its own category.
Hehe! Sounds ridiculous but actually it would make sense. It'll come again as safe as the Bank of England. This topic (and I don't mean constructive crits on specific things which often are or contain valid points - like for example Sabrina's last postings in Interface & Tools) is some kind of revenant: Immortal and without brains. No stakes, no garlic and no silver bullets can help...

You could give it a try...

buonnguqua

Post by buonnguqua » Sat May 24, 2008 4:36 pm

Maybe Blender2.5 shoud have 4 UI : 3dsmax,maya,Cinema,Lightwave
--> all CG artist around the world can use blender skilled in 3 days
--> community of blender will so so large
--> blender become the best 3d app in the worlds :D

pinhead_66

Post by pinhead_66 » Sun May 25, 2008 1:00 am

stiv,

it was only a request ;)

This is why you are moderator and I am not.

:)

Duckie

Post by Duckie » Mon May 26, 2008 5:16 pm

i have a request for the 2.5 gui concerning hotkeys - and that would be customizable hotkey layouts. say a text-file that has ALL keyboard keys and combinations listed and the function/script plus a description. changing from one layout to the other could then be as simple as

Code: Select all

ChangeHotkeyLayout("EditMode");
and then let us change that however we like - e.g. w/ a settings panel that lets you specify which keyboard layout to automatically load when changing to a different mode. if customized to someones special need you could even change the layout with that same api call mapped to a hotkey e.g. map

Code: Select all

ChangeHotkeyLayout("MyOwnPolyKeys");
to SHIFT-P

also a magic button that prints all layouts out to use as reference w/ only the keys(combination) and the description.

that would be really nice to have - especially since other programs can do that but not as nice. (i remember me trying to toggle a hotkey in maya and put a macro on it, and when click again to reverse it - and the code i applied to that key got ugly - since i had to reprogram that button after the macro got executed instead of neatly calling for the old keylayout again).

just an idea (and i hope it is not already planned for 2.5 since everything is supposed to be accessible through api/python/command line ...)

JrSunshine

Re: Survey!! V.2.5 G.U.I. (graphical user interface)

Post by JrSunshine » Fri May 30, 2008 10:00 pm

harmonic wrote:Hy guys,
What G.U.I. (graphical user interface) would you prefer to find in the version 2.5 of blender?

Cinema 4D

Maya

Softimage XSI

Max

Lightwave

I guess I would say Lightwave. But honestly I prefer Modo (which is not on your survey).

I like the fact the Blender has a highly configurable UI. What it really needs is for clearer more descriptive and obvious toolsets and commands. Anyone who has used Modo knows it tries to get out of the way and let the artist be creative. Don't make me think like an engineer; make me think like an artist.

Hope that helps.
JrSunshine

vizfx

Post by vizfx » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:42 pm

Hi
One of the best 3D software from the GUI and “learning curve” point of view is by far Google Sketchup. About other 3D software is always good to learn from their experiences (success/mistakes).
Unfortunately Blender has serious lacks in this field:
- artist friendly GUI
- better configurable hot keys/mouse actions for easier transfer from other 3D software
Those things fixed will increase dramatically Blender`s popularity and in the same time the community.
Best regards.
Mihai

vizfx

Post by vizfx » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:35 am

Another useful choice is the contextual menu (right click) which is able to recognize the most used commands and mark them for better visibility.

tsgfilmwerks

Post by tsgfilmwerks » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:37 pm

At least keep the blender GUI as an option.

And optimize it for MacBooks & MacMinis with Leopard. I would like to be able to use blender without the infamous lag. (I think making the GUI without pixel buffering or whatever on every system would solve all of this... I think...)

joeri

Post by joeri » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:42 pm

I think blender 2.5 should have as less change in interface as possible.

Changing interfaces renders all documentation useless.

And harmonic, this is *my* "gift" to the community and if you dont accept that I'll ban suzanne to the isle of Man... :

Hundreds of people support blender ( I mean the real support, not the crappy "I know how to bloat on a forum" support ) by spending time and effort to write tutorials and books. And tape screengrabs and create images that look like a million bucks.
They do this in a blender they took time to learn and understand.
Sure there are "I whish, and why is there not..."

In the more then 10 years I've been around blender I've been hearing loads of requests to change the interface into another one, an no-one of the requesters could ever found their reason.
Meaning: If you like Maya so bad, go get Maya. Why would blender go be Maya2 ? If you can answer that question in a reasonable way then I'm sure it will have a Maya interface in a week or two.

Not confinced? Go get the new Creature Factory and see what a blender pro can do. I have yet to see a Maya "Master" do the same in the same amount of time.

harmonic

Post by harmonic » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:10 pm

Maybe my English is not so good... may be I'm not be able to explain so well... so I will explain in My main language...

E' incredibile... ho avuto a che fare con gente di tutti i tipi ma come in questo posto mai... lo giuro!!
Vi si chiedeva semplicemente di dare una vostra impressione tra i vari software presenti sul mercato al fine di dare qualche consiglio ai programmatori per rendere piu' potente e intuitivo questo software.
La richiesta era del tutto legittima e comunque non offensiva!!
Se vi siete offesi perché ho lasciato intendere che l'interfaccia di blender fa schifo mi dispiace.. questa é una mia opinione... mi dispiace veramente per voi credetemi.. ma di fatto moltissime persone la pensano esattamente come me... rispettate anche le idee altrui altrimenti siete come i fascisti!!!

Non sono un inglese madrelingua... ma di certo capisco quello che mi scrivete... mentre voi sembrate non capire un cazzo di quello che scrivo io!!

Non ho mai scritto che vorrei Blender come Maya2... semmai lo vorrei + simile a Cinema 4D V10....

Per quanto riguarda il discorso della manualistica.... se blender avesse un'interfaccia migliore forse + gente riuscirebbe ad usarlo anche senza tanti manuali e tutorial... e senza bisogno di spaccarsi la testa ad imparare hotkey ed a cercare in mezzo a menu' nascosti... comunque ribadisco... queste sono mie opinioni quindi ognuno é libero di pensarla come vuole...

Quindi se proprio dovete entrare nel MIO TOPIC per dare risposte... datele almeno non contro una persona che voleva solo rendersi utile..
Perdete piuttosto un attimo di tempo per dare qualche consiglio a chi può veramente fare qualcosa per migliorare un software che potrebbe surclassare in futuro i + blasonati software commerciali.

Oppure se proprio vi piace attaccarmi.. allora fatelo pure... ma questo significa che avete solo buon tempo da perdere...

Ora intendo bannarmi per la seconda spero ultima volta!!

And now translate... geni che non siete altro..