Node based editing of particle systems and physics effects?

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Curly01

Post by Curly01 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:20 am

Hi,

The commercial (but not better) software packages Softimage and 3DS Max have node based editing on their particle and physics systems. You can for instance attach a deflector node to the particle system, etc....
Especially Softimage has announced their new ICE system

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=s0QOtmKNnuY

Since Blender has already node based editing on their compositing system, it shouldn't be to hard to implement this on the particle and physics system. It's a great way to produce special effects shots and it would place Blender on the forefront of 3D design (To me it's already a killer 3D application with the new fluid simulation.) :D

kAinStein

Post by kAinStein » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:56 pm

Extreme good idea! This would avoid quite a lot of context changes (switching between different objects) when editing particle systems and attributes of interacting objects. In addition, most attributes and values would be in one single view which increases visibility of needed options and making them accessible more easily.

You've got my support for this suggestion! Really a good idea which is nothing more than an UI issue as the backend stays the same. Also interesting regarding the unified baking experiments made in former SVN versions. With a node system this could be achieved with ease and with a damn good usability (if done as I can imagine it right now).

ysvry

Post by ysvry » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:39 am

im in favour of it too, i find nodes much easier to read and mix.

gianmichele

Post by gianmichele » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:13 am

Add me to the list. I think nodes are really good as workflow for particle work.

-Gian

dan_hin

Post by dan_hin » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:41 pm

count me in, excellent idea

zingbat

Post by zingbat » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:47 pm

It's a good idea and add the game engine logic bricks to the list of features that could use the node interface.

Codra

Post by Codra » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:35 pm

Yep this would be awesome and needed:after all with gaseous and liquid fluid simulators a robust node based particle system is required!